Excuse me i dont have the time to plow this forum through, so perhaps you have already discussed this... but i would like to start a separate thread about resourse control.

In SC1 it seems pretty simple - we have these as the only factors:

resourse value

site control

scroched earth

I would like to add some factors that add to the realism of this very important aspect. (look... im tired of just moving blocks across hexes)

supply line

resoursees cut of from the motherland (capitol) does not count. Used in many other games. Basic.

Oil, factories, iron, cities, shipyards

This could be made simple or more complex, but it for sure should be more complexed than in SC1 where they seem only worth their value in MPP (Maybe Hubert ran out of time eh? smile.gif ). Ok i know this smells heart of iron without the trade but it should really be in there imho.

- oil and iron is needed to produce tanks, planes and ships

- oil and iron is added each turn and not a constant resource - it depends on how much oil and iron sites i control and their production value. Also i must have a certain amount of oil before i can put an oil consuming unit in production. No oil should be need to supply the units once they have been produced though.

- Tanks and planes can only be produced in factories

- Ships are produced in shipyards (ofcourse)

- Troops are produced in cities

- Unit production takes time: different units take different time to produce. I have seen that this may be coming in SC2 already?

These aspects would bring a whole new dimension to the game: REAL STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE!

also.....

Anti air defence

I should be able to invest MPP in AA value for all of the sites i control. I should not have to use corps to protect resourses that are only reachable by strategic bombing.

Thats all for now.. i know this must have been discussed before but hey... maybe something new is added this time? Lets start the discussion!

Originally posted by Night:

SC1 has supply lines. All resources not connect by land to the Capitial produce at half.

And there is also Air Defence tech in SC1 which does basicly what your talking about.

AA tech? explain... dont i need to have a unit on the city to inflict damage to the attacking airfleet?

No, the resource itself will inflict some damage (with some luck!).

In SC1 the unit on the resource will protect it, but in SC2 strategic bombing will target the resource itself, probably leaving the unit on it unscathed.

If you playtest using the scenario editor in SC1, changing AA from 0 to 5, you'll soon see the difference in casualties to your air units when they attack.