There is no set order. However if tactical and strategic concerns are not immediate (say USA or USSR at start of campaign) it is helpful to work on Industrial Technology first to increase the income for later use.

I personally have the USA get 5 or 6 chits in Industrial Technology and 5 chits in Intelligence (partially to prevent Axis from learning IT easier) before working on Production then on other techs. With the USSR I rarely get more than 3 chits in IT and Int and perhaps a chit or two in Production before switching to the more immediate need for Infantry Weapons then other combat techs.

Other nations generally need combat techs right away...so I can only squeeze in the occasional Industrial or Production tech.

Each level of Industrial tech raises the income of Germany's ressources by 10%. But, this % affects only the ressources of Germany's homeland and not any of the conquered/joined territories. Basically, if all those ressources are strenght 10, it gives 11 mpps more per turn per level. When you consider: (1) the high cost of this tech (125 mpps per chit), (2)your limited amount of research spending including the must-have infantry weapons and finally (3) the higher % of discovery chances it would give for both USA and Russia which will mostly try to reach level 5, it makes a lot of sense that Germany should never invest in that tech!!!

Intel only works on the chances of other techs. If your enemy has a higher tech level in something that you're researching, then you gain 1% per INT tech level that you have more then him.

Also the other way around, of course : if you have a higher tech level in somethin and your INT is lower then his, he gets a bonus.

It does not however lower his chances in general nor does it give you a higher chance of researching something if your enemy doesn't have a higher tech level.

Call it "spionage" and you'll understand it better : you can only steal tech from someone that has a better tech then yours and you can only prevent others from stealing it from you if you got a tech that's better.