Freezes in CMBO and CMBB Nvidia GF4 4600

Hi all,

I upgraded my computer for a new 128Mb Ti GeForce 4600 graphic card but since then i get random freezes in game (order phases and movies).

I can use the mouse but everything else is frozen, i have to reboot.

It happens when i move the pointer, but sometimes when i don't touch anything too.

After a reboot I had once a message from Windows saying that the graphic went into an 'loop'. I don't know what it means.

I tried without the sound (shift S), same result. I am using the 30.87 Nvidia drivers, my OS is Windows XP.

I downloaded new drivers for my sound card (VIA AC'97 ) and my mouse but no luck freezes are still there.

It doesn't really prevent me from playing , because the freezes are quite rare, but i'm surprised because i never encountered a problem with my GeForce2 32mb /W98 configuration...

Does anybody have the same problem ? Any tip to solve this ?

Thanks in advance

[ October 30, 2002, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Thin Red Line ]

I had the same problem with the same video card. Advice was that I need to download new drivers for the card, because I had the original drivers that came with the card.

I see that you have the latest drivers, but people here keep on saying that you shouldn't download drivers beyond 29.xx. Those have been tested that they work with CMBB, above that and there is no guarantee.

But maybe someone knows better. This is just what I have gathered from this forum.

Hello P5,

Thanks for the reply,

Was you problem solved with the 29.xx drivers ?

I'll give them a try.

For my Asus graphic card the available specific drivers are the 28.80 only ...

(BTW I forgot to mention the most important thing : the graphics now rock with the new card, CMBB is superb and i can play with extreme settings. I have a 700 Mghz CPU and 768Mb RAM)

[ October 30, 2002, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Thin Red Line ]

Well, let me try this, i'll tell you the outcome .

I now realize i was not using the 30.87 as i wrongly stated but only the 'stereo' part of them i dowloaded from the page on the same Nvidia page showing the 40.xx beta drivers.

So i was most probably stuck with the 28.80 which came with the card. This could explain my problems.

And i dind't download the 29.42 at first because i couldn't find the archive page on their site...

Many thanks.

[ October 31, 2002, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Thin Red Line ]

the 38.82 drivers work great using the nivida chip the 40. series works but when you first grt into the game you won't see any writing on the battle screen so you have to alt-tab out and come back into the game, I've stuck with the 38 drivers and all my games work fine

I had the same problem. I bought a 4600 to use with a computer that I'm building but I decided to throw it in my Athlon 1200 until I get the rest of the parts. It freezes very frequently, usually before I can get one turn done. I had alll the latest drivers and such. I'm beginning to suspect I have too small a power supply. I don't think 300 watts is enough to run a big new card like that.

I have this problem too with any driver after 29.42. I've never been able to pin down a cause. They're just a little unstable with CMBB. I've found that reinstalling the drivers solves the problem for awhile. This is easy to do with the latest drivers too.

Right now I'm using the 40.72 drivers. I had a crashing spell recently, reinstalled the drivers and I've been alright for hours of play so far. It WILL happen again. When it does I will reinstall again. smile.gif

Treeburst155 out.

It is the called the Nvidia Infinate Loop problem.

When I first set up my XP machine, I had it happens all the time whenever I tried to run an intensive 3d graphics game. I tried a million different things and the one thing that finally solved it was I got a 4200 instead of a 4400 or 4600 card.

Do a search for it on the net as people have found various solutions to the problem

Good luck

jonp