The Armies of Minor Countries

The armies of Italy, Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria performed pretty badly during WW II. The Poles and the French did not fare much better. Nor did the Russians during 41 -42. One common denominator was that these armies were not adequately equiped.

One way to dramatize the poor equipment of these armies is to have the German, British, Finish and U.S. unit start 1939 at a higher research level (say 1 for infantry weapons, anti tank and armor), while Russian and all other minors start at 0.

Any comments?

With the WaW expansion, you'll have the option to equip minor units with upgrades. I'm curious if it'll cost the same. I always imagined that if it was implemented like that, it would cost more to equip the minors than it would the majors. A bit of an abstraction that help keep minor units from being pure equals to the majors. Right now they "feel" minor because their inability to stand toe to toe with the majors but still have their role in the game.

British and American equipment was pretty much the same as everyone else's in 1939 - indeed apart from their tactical theories so were the Germans.

They're a British unit made up of Poles - and only 1 brigade of them at that.

There were 2 Polish corps serving with the british army - they were identically equipped and organised to other British units, so can be considered as "just another" British corps.

For some interesting bits and pieces on Polish troops in the West see the wiki article - there were Polish troops fighting for the French in 1940 too - 2 divisions were formed, and another 2 and a brigade were forming when France surrendered.

the vast bulk of Poles in the western Polish untis were deserters from the Wheremacht and Poles released by the Soviet Union in 1941.

Upgrading minors cost double in WaW. Works out great because you don't just go ahead and upgrade all of them.

And these minors due bad and did so because most of them did not have the logistics (HQs for SC2) the major Allies did and so I find it very well represented in the game.