Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

I wonder. If you can surprise an opponent with a disparity in research levels you can really hurt him. The strategy:Germany and Italy beef up their ships to level 2 GLR and maybe higher subs. They sail through the Gibraltor and Copenhagen choke points and hit the allied fleets. With the difference in research levels you can often destroy enemy units and suffer acceptable losses. The upshot: Allied lost ships can't be bought at half price and take forever to build. Britain and America are isolated on their "islands" and the axis can devote the mid to late game to a one front war with the Reds. A viable strategy?

Personally I like the tactic but the danger is you lose the land war in Russia. Definately bad to sacrifice the Axis navy too cheaply - its lurking presence forces the Allies to be more careful and therefore undertake more limited operations and if they make an error you can exploit. Terif's advice - use the Kriegmarine to facilitate your strategic aims rather than just look for a scrap with the RN is good advice.

this is precisely my action in my current game, I researched GLR2 for Germany and Italy, Italy only got 1 advancement...

Though the UK through the Royal Navy at me and thus suffered a great deal. At a smaller cost on the Russian front, having kept back just a few basic units and some Fighters... It helps if the British blunder

Ive done it(uboats at plus5 german,italian ships at plus 2)and won but its real risky because you spend so much on the tech. and upgrading that you dont really have a big land army(in size or tech.) for russia until 1942 unless you get real lucky in your tech.hits.Its fun to try though.

The US pacific fleet is a real disincentive. Because it weighs in whoever has a go at Spain it will almost always appear and it is quite a significant reinforcement. Given the only real source of additional vessels for the Axis are diplomacy of Spain/Vichy/Sweden or crash building Subs its hard to match. Having said that, its pretty reasonable and should be triggered by other events than Spain too - the US was hardly going to tolerate Axis Naval superiority in the Atlantic.