Any chance for Passive Minor Allied Nations?

Pasive Minor Allies- ie Minor nations that allow your ships to transit their ports and be repaired there. Any attacks on ships in a Passive Allied Nation Port requires a declaration of war against that nation. Major Allied nation receives no production bonus from a Passive Minor Allied Nation.

Also, If a Nation surrenders and has naval units in a Minor Allied Port, there is a 20% that those ships become units of that Minor Allied Nation.

So:

1. True Neutral Nation

2. Passive Minor Ally

3. True Minor Nation Ally

Example: UK ships could seek shelter in US ports while US is still neutral. If UK surrenders those ships have a 25% to become US Naval Units.

Example: Turkey allows UK units to sail through the straits to the Black Sea.

[ July 22, 2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

Example: Turkey allows UK units to sail through the straits to the Black Sea.

Did Turkey actually allow warring countries to use the Dardanelles for warships before she entered the war? I didn't know.

"Officially", Turkey did not allow the warships from the warring countries to use the Daranelles until it joined the war.

However, it would be interesting if you could expend diplomatic chits for a chance to convince them to.

UK ships in Allied ports should IMHO go to that nation 100%.

Think about it, you're invaded, you loose yet you still have troops outside the country, other countries are at war with the invaders, why surrender those troops if you know the fight is not over? I don't think it would happen.

In the event that your naval units are in another port when your country surrenders I think that 1 of 3 things will happen:

1. The 3rd party country will seize the ships (ie Spain/Turkey seizes the ships that are in its ports and addes them to their navy.)

2. The Crew gives up and goes home, after scuttling their ship.

3. The crew sets sail for an allied country that is still fighting.

This is a very good idea. Another real-life example was Spain's allowing of German U-Boat crews to refit and repair and for replacement crews to transit across Spanish territory to the vessels. This actually played a very large role in the early stages of the Battle of the Atlantic before the Germans had fully established their U-Boat bases in occupied France.

And the disposition of vessels after a surrender rings true as well. I am particularly reminded of 1918, when some Russian vessels in British ports were scuttled by their sailors but others were appropriated by the RN, becoming "British." (and ironically enough used against other former Imperial Navy ships in the hands of the "Bolos" during the Allied intervention 1n 1919.)