IP danger

It is a possibility. Depending on how knowledgeable, determined and inventive your attacker is. I don't think it is something that just any hack can compromise, but it could be compromised. I wouldn't necessarily think that you would have to really worry about this a lot - someone would have to really want to attack you or CM players in particular in order to commit the time and resources to attacking you through your IP and port. This is assuming that you're using a "firewall" - otherwise you are much more vulnerable to the attacks you fear.

I'd suggest using "firewall" software if you are truly worried about internet attacks. Programs like Black Ice Defender (and there are some freeware/shareware ones available too) and others are something you can get to erect some internet security. This would be highly recommended if you're using a cable modem. These programs can cause problems though (especially with some TCP/IP enabled games, etc.). Even with these firewalls you could still become compromised, but it is quite a bit harder to accomplish.

Richard,

I have zone alarm on right now. I have all the programs on ? hoping the program will ask me if I want some one to have access. If you want to play a game check out my opponent finder post or if you just want to try it to see if it work thats fine to.

Mikeb

To run ZA with CM just:

1.make sure ZA is on

2.start CM and select tcp/ip

3.fill in ip address

4.hit ok

5.ZA should then ask you if you would like CM to axcess the internet.

6.check the box in the lower right hand corner so that settings are saved and you don't get prompted everytime CM wants to use TCP/IP

7.click yes to let it axcess the internet

Thats it. I just tested this to make sure it works and it does.

Thanks for the tips. However, on the Zone Alarm Control Center, I have had everything appropriately checked on the Combat Mission.Exe., but no connection could be made in a CMBO TCP/IP.

However, I shall be more careful in the future with the ZoneAlarm the next time I do a TCP/IP CMBO.

Cheers, Richard :cool:

Remove CMBO from the list of programs and let ZA detect the game again.

ZA has my full support. It's free, it's safe, it's secure. Used it since it first came out.

MikeB: Nobody's going to mess with your computer unless you give them a reason. IT would be pointless for a hacker to get into your machine, unless you are his direct enemy or he knows you have important/valuable information. You're safe. Even with no security, it's still a pain in the ass to bother getting some guy's IP address and gaining access to his 'puter, and is almost never worth the trouble.

I have to agree with wwb. Zone Alarm is the way to go. Not only is it the best, but it is free! I've never had a problem playing CM with ZA either. I just set it up to always "allow connect" and "allow server" and have never had a problem with it.

BTW ZA is much better than Black Ice in that it doesn't allow bots to acxess the web. Heres a good article for you admin types out there http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

Black Ice and ZA are put to the test and Black Ice fails. ZA is also free smile.gif The only problem with ZA is that it can block DHCP broadcasts and prevent you from obtaining an IP if you are on a cable modem. To avoid this don't have ZA set to start when you boot your computer up.

I just installed ZA and it seems pretty good. A question though .... my ADSL is not on all the time and each time it connects I have a new IP number. Does that mean I don't really need ZA? The PC is mainly used for games and the web. So, am I being paranoid installing this firewall?

A friend of mine with the same ADSL setup and a similiar computer, was hacked last week and that's what made me dl ZA. Was my friend just really unlucky, or are the dangers real?

The dangers of being hacked are real, but it's almost the equivalent of when you're going to get into an auto accident. It's insurance (though it's mandatory for drivers to have auto insurance). Most hackers concentrate on ISPs, websites that are very visible or just plain vulnerable and people they want to annoy or impress (?). Trojans however are common (especially on cable modem networks) and high-speed home connections are a favorite target of those who spread them.

I suggest reading the content of the above listed websites. Steve Gibson's articles make for very convincing reading. And as others have pointed out (I read the article right after I posted here) Zone Alarm is a much better product than Black Ice Defender since it will actually protect from Trojans or let you know when a "zombie" has been activated on your system.