Installation problems.

Litos

Hi all,

Recently i have formatted my HD. I have to install all software and CMAK had some problems. Whaen i try to install it, windows give me this message:

An error has ocurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:

MoveFile failed; code 32.

The procces has not access because it is been used by other program.

I have not any idea of the cause, specially when other times i had installed it without any problems.

System specs:

- SO: Windows 2000 profesional

- Graphic Card: Radeon 9200

- AMD 1700 XP

Thank you in advance.

When you specify where to install CMAK are you using the default directories or are you using/creating your own ? I'd suggest using the defaults for now if you are not already doing so.

Do you have anything else running in the background, such as anti-virus utilities, etc. ? Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del > Task Manager button > Processes tab and check there to see what is running ('Applications' should be blank except for the CMAK installer). Shutdown anything that isn't needed by the OS to run the CM install.

Another thing to try, assuming you have the disk space, is to copy the install files to your hard drive and run it from there. Double check that your CD doesn't have any blemishes, smudges, etc. on it (though such problems would probably create error messages that are different from this).

I was using my own directories but i tried to install CMAk in default one. It makes the same error in both possibilities.

I have installed it without any background program and the same error appears. I also copy the installation program in my HD and the same error again.

I have tried to omit the error and continued the installation anyway. When i try to run program this message appears:

"unable to execute file:

c:\cm\cmak\common.exe

create process failed; code2"

The error during instalation happens while is installing the common.exe file. Is strage because i have installed CMBB before and no problem apèared.

Also, in the CMAK folder is a strange file (is-ME3H8.tmp) of 598 Megs.

As well, when the installation is over the "openplay modules" folder is not there. I tried to put that folder of another CMAK and doenst work (if ran, an unhandled exception error is displayed).

The disk dont seem to be damaged: it hasnt any scratch or anything else. Since i received it i only use it two times.

Delete any temp files you can find on your hard drive. Usually they're in \WINNT\TEMP and \Documents and Settings\your user login\Local Settings\Temp. Check to see if there is an uninstall for CMAK in the Add/Remove Programs control panel. If there is, go ahead and uninstall it. Run chkdsk c: /f from a command prompt, which will require a reboot for it to be performed (if you have more than one volume/drive, perform chkdsk on it first, since this usually won't require a reboot if it isn't the boot volume).

What exact processes do you have running when you check Task Manager ? Ignore svchost.exe, mstask.exe, explorer.exe (if there is only one instance), System Idel Process, System, SMSS.EXE, WINLOGON.EXE, SERVICES.EXE, spoolsvc.exe and TASKMGR.EXE since they are standard running tasks that are part of the OS.

Which Service Pack do you have installed for Windows 2000 (SP4 is the latest) ? You can check in the Control Panel > System control panel > General tab > it should be the third line under System. What version of DirectX do you have installed ? I believe Windows 2000 defaults with 7.x, although the version of DirectX shouldn't be responsible for the error that you're seeing.

[ November 10, 2004, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I have running these processes:

csrss, lsass, svchost (three times), regsvc, vsmon, winmgmt, wros, msnmsgr, msass43, internat, winpppoverether, avgnt, mixer, zlclient, taskmgr, firefox, avguard, avwupsrv.

I have only the service pack 4. And version 9.0b of directx.

I will make the rest of suggestions now.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...