Played the first MP game ever of this scenario against Fred. I was Napoleon and he Wellington. Fog of war was used.

It plays very well and seem quite balanced.

The fighting started at 11 AM with the french assault on Hougoumont. Some english regiments were routed and the advance into the wood began.

In the center things were quiet. On the left wing La Haie farm came under fire from the french I Corps right flank.

1 PM:

Both sides used the first two hours mainly for maneovour, allies lost Hill Hq to combined infantry/artillery fire leaving their right wing weak.

The british then started a general offensive at Hougoumont smashing into the french troops assembling for a major assault. This was a fatal mistake. The french counter killed droves of allied units desintegrating the entire british right.

3 PM

As a result around 3 PM chateau d'Hougoumont fell to Reille's II corps and had the french moving their left wing against the center. In the center the massive french I corps had been moving towards Le Haie Saint killing Ponsonby's brigade(the Royal scots greys) with artillery and cavalry. The british chosed wisely to fall back to the ridge well aware of the disaster that had befallen them.

Meanwhile on the french right the Papelotte and La Haie had been secured by french troops. The british however tried to turn the flank by posing a great threat towards Plancenoit which failed. Massive cavalry clashes saw the outnumbered english cavalry routed with heavy french losses.

4 PM-5 PM

Blucher and the prussians joins the battlefield while the massive french onslaught overwhelms La Haie Saint and the Sandpit.

6 PM

English royal dragoons on the ridge scores heavy losses on french advancing units. But decimated french troops reach the ridge and the Imperial Guard joins the fighting on a large scale. The british massed their elite guard brigades on the ridge and saw furious delaying action against Le Garde!

8 PM

Mont St Jean falls to the french just as Blucher come close to attack Papelotte and Plancenoit. A few more rounds and it would have been a draw.

CONCLUSION:

Very enjoyable, balance seem ok. Maybe the prussians should come into action earlier.