Here's an idea that will improve game balance, as well as make the game more historical and more fun.

It's the concept of annual force pools from World in Flames. In Wif, each country gets new units added to its force pool at the beginning of each year. Not as reinforcements, but as potential production that players have the option to build. It's a neat way of showing how technology improved (the U.S. gets Mustangs in 1944, the German and Soviets get more powerful tank corps, etc.). It also shows how the size of a nation's military expands over time.

The problem with SC2 is that it gives everyone their entire military from the start. In 1941, four U.S. armies is too much; in 1944, it's too small. Six German air fleets in 1942 is too high; that belongs to 1943-44, when Speer boosted aircraft production.

Soft build limits only worsen the problem, because they can also be built too early. But what if the Germans had four air fleets in their force pool in 1939, and got one more per year after that? They don't have to build them if they don't want to, but if they do, it makes massed air fleets less of a gamebreaker. The U.S. can get several tank groups to spend all those MPPs on - but not until 1944.

It might also lead to a more diverse game. Instead of a race to build air fleets, perhaps Germany will build subs. The Western Allies can build massive air fleets and heavy bombers - but not too early.

This shouldn't be hard to code. It could function like Siberian reinforcements, except that units appear as potential production instead of on-map reinforcements.

Diced Tomato

[ June 25, 2006, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: dicedtomato ]

Not a mod, Dave. This is needed to help out Blashy and others who are struggling to fix flaws in the game.

They're trying to find a way to model the U.S. Army. But which U.S. Army? The 1941 version looked nothing like its 1944 successor. Modifying the force pool on an annual basis means the U.S. can have a smaller military than Poland in 1939, and a huge air and tank force in 1944.

Good to have you back, Dave. Your verse was missed.

Diced Tomato

Good to have you back, Dave. Your verse was missed.

Thanks Diced Ice,

[... a friendly "take" on how enshaded cool

are many of your posts; if you don't care

for that liberty, say it straight out, I desist smile.gif ]

You had taken a short break as well,

And so, I'd suppose,

We are BOTH

"Fit as... some combustible Hendrix git"

And ready to rock the House cold,

Since foundations are semi-solid!

Roll-yer-own Gold! :cool:

Not a mod, Dave. This is needed to help out Blashy and others who are struggling to fix flaws in the game.
Actually, Blashy Mon, Bill

And I are all on the same SC team,

[... along with some others who haven't yet

announced it aloud]

Though,

Some might imagine that I am hardly

Game-vetted Vet enough

To qualify?

LOL, it's alright, I know what

Is what, in game or street. smile.gif

They're trying to find a way to model the U.S. Army. But which U.S. Army? The 1941 version looked nothing like its 1944 successor. Modifying the force pool on an annual basis means the U.S. can have a smaller military than Poland in 1939, and a huge air and tank force in 1944.

Your suggestion is a good one.

Not sure if Hubert wants to change

Schematic all that much,

But,

As with all else,

We can only wait and see?

Agree on difficulty of "modeling"

USA's gargantuan "gear up,"

But,

I reckon some satisfying solution

Will emerge,

Either as implemented in default,

Or by way of one the very MANY

Adept "modders"

Who have staked some claims. :cool:

I do not like that really.

I like the way that the player dictates his war doctrine and not a set rule based on what the leaders of that era did.

You're the boss now, it is your house.

If Germany wishes to go all out with AFs right from the start, let them. They'll have shortcomings somewhere else due to the cost.

Let players make their own war doctrine.