Unit Creation & Design

Anyone know of any way to create units for SC2?.

For instance...can one use a Digital Camera to take say for example whatever number of the required Angled-Shots of a Military Minitature ... then use these Digitized as Units in SC2?.

Is there specific software that would be suitable for this type of effort?. Can the Camera Digitized Image...be converted into the required format for a BitMap Image/s?.

Are there any other Software programs that would be suitable for designing game units(Sprites)?.

We will also need a means of translating our new digital images into the proper format so that the sprites can be used,...also needed will be a method to transpose those new units onto the circular Bases i see in the screenshots... .

The creation of 'new units'...'new campaigns'...and 'new maps'...will give SC2 or any-game...a long/longer-life...and increase the likely-hood of the so-said series continuing on into the future with new-sequel's...that will incorporate more advanced concepts and improvements.

Perhaps the 'Master-Icon-Mechanic' that create's the ICONS for SC2 can be persuaded to give assistance to the present and future campaign/scenario creators. Im interested in creating units for my own scenarios...but, have never done it before...so i would, as well as others be very interested in knowing how to do it.

--------

From my searchings on the internet...Icon's are mainly items for accessing other functions or for a means to execute.

Sprites can be backdrop images (Like Hex-Terrain) or moving or action images.

So what are the units in the game called???. Im trying to find software programs to create units for games...but, i dont seem to have the proper terminology to be able to search it!.

[ July 16, 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

Perhaps the 'Master-Icon-Mechanic' that create's the ICONS for SC2 can be persuaded to give assistance to the present and future campaign/scenario creators.
I won't claim to be the 'Master-Icon-Mechanic' but I do know how to use Microsoft Paint to edit bitmaps. Take a look at the current SC1 bitmap files and all the work done on the various graphics mods so far. It's not that difficult to edit the existing images, cut & paste, etc. You'll be able to do the same thing with the SC2 bitmap files. It's easy.

As for giving assistance, I've been trying my hand with the SC2 editor to work on a custom game. I need to understand the process myself so I can clearly describe it in the User Manual. Being able to customize the game's startup file for new countries, new units, etc. and also new bitmap files for unit sprites, terrain sprites, and such is all part of the process. It really is not too difficult.

I will forewarn you about something. Fernando has been very very busy creating excellent graphics files. And there are a lot of them. Not only is SC2 adding several new unit types and terrain features like fortifications, there's also the new desert and winter motifs. And there's also the new 3-D/military unit option, plus new weather effects. I mean, there's over a dozen different terrain, tile, and unit sprites files now! So while it's not too difficult to edit a few items here and there, it will take a LOT of effort to make wholesale changes on your own. But it's doable and something to look forward to. ;)

Thankyou for Replying pzgrdr ...please keep 'me/us all' posted...i have never created unit icons before...but, would like to give it a try...if it work's out for me ...i just might go crazy with it with more ideas for offshoot scenario ideas.

i have never created unit icons before...but, would like to give it a try
You can practice right now with SC1 by opening the unit_sprites.bmp file. Try editing any of the icons or cutting & pasting from one to another. I'll leave it for you to judge how easy or difficult it is for you to get the results you want. ;)

SC2 will be the same. As for the new unit bases, these are just disks in a separate bitmap file which the unit sprites get overlayed on, so there's nothing special about trying to transpose new icons onto the bases. I expect we'll see lots of interesting graphics mods show up after SC2 gets released. :cool:

When i do find the .bmp files...what do i open them up with(Paint}?...or is there a better program to use for doing this.

How do you select a single unit for Editing?. I tried using Photo-Deluxe2 .

I isolated one image by using 'Square'...drew an outline around it ...then had the background deleted.

This one image is so heavily 'blurred' (at 400% & 800% of original size)that i don't see how you could edit it. Even at 400% % 800% of original size the image is still quite small.

Anyway...it look's like to me that unless a much better program than the one im using is used...this is going to be a job of Mammoth proportions to edit or create new units...at least for me!.

[ July 18, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Retributar ]