2 questions not clear in the manual

I don't know the first answer.

But the second : a Fortification only gives the bonus for attacks coming from the direction it points to. For instance, if you attack a Fortress from the South, while the Fortress is only build with a wall to the North, then the unit in the Fortress does not get the bonus.

Exactly what terrain is that talking about. the only terrain with negative defense bonuses are marshes and ports
I think the manual is essentially correct, but this feature is only used for the marsh and port terrain in the default game. "Defense" would be more accurate than "attacks" since what's happening is the unit's defense is halved against those particular attacks.

I believe if you apply this feature to a custom game where say you give a negative tank or soft defense value to some terrain then ground units attacking and defending from that terrain would have their combat values halved. Attacks are already halved across rivers as the standard, and this feature allows you to selectively apply it to other terrain as well.

Originally posted by TaoJah:

I don't know the first answer.

But the second : a Fortification only gives the bonus for attacks coming from the direction it points to. For instance, if you attack a Fortress from the South, while the Fortress is only build with a wall to the North, then the unit in the Fortress does not get the bonus.

Surely that isnt correct, or what good would it do to build a fortification with no sides?

There are no fortifications with "no sides" as such. Well, perhaps it indicates "0 sides" on the screen, but the lowest form of fortification has one "side" : the tiny litte corner. So it only defends from attacks made from the hex opposite to it.

It's not very clear, but I don't think alot of people use the fortifications anyway, they take waaaay too long to build. And you can't build them in cities :-(

The only fortifications that I ever build is with the USSR, because I get a free engineer anyway.

It's more of a fortified line than a fortress in the classical sense. Thus the more sides you give it, the better able it is to provide all round defence for the unit occupying it.

I've used some in defending Russia and have learnt that one sided fortresses are useful but once the enemy have outflanked them they are worse than useless.