Free French Fleet Bug

So far preliminary tests I've done, which aren't extensive, show that put them past St John's Wort, every boat I put there stayed Alive, I tried a Cruiser and Battleship in the MidAtlantic the two from the Med, the Cruiser remained he was on line with Iceland...

Every time I have put a Battleship in the Artic Waters it has remained Free... At first I thought I was lucky after the third or fourth time I knew it a bug...

So apparently that is the Free French Zone, I wonder if you move the entire French military there and sail it back to england after the surrender? And they do return home there is no bug in that aspect smile.gif

P.S. this is just a premilinary observation, go ahead and test it further if not I shall later this evening to confirm this is a Free French Zone

Okay, Dear friends. I tested the Free French Bug follow up...

all units surrendered except 17, 14 tile and 17 13.

Guess what, one of those Units was the tourville crusier and the other gameline HQ!

Okay, next test, to push my Free French Further into the Northern Artic and see how many survive, on test two! will post in a minute from hotseat

2nd test:

Alright, 1 time without Poland surrending all Free French surrendered and it took 2 turns after Paris to have a French surrender, they weren't as far West as they could be however. 1 Battleship in Mid-Atlantic, 1 cruiser on the same gride off Canada's Coast

3rd test:

Poland surrendered

I pushed all units further West including DCR Tank and Gamelin, all the Boats surrendered by not the Land units...

Afterall I may be wrong, but consider retesting, see how far west I drive these units and how many surrender with all Free French as far West as the maps will permit

[ September 14, 2006, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Liam ]

4th test, odd, only the DCR tank group survived, most units were far as I could get them b4 ice sunk in.. I will try center them between Canada and Greenland now

5th Test: Everything West of tile 16-10 Cruiser centered between Greenland and Icey Islands of Canada's NorthWest Territory, let's see how this comes out. Everything surrendered. I suppose my initial findings were luck. 3 to 4 outta of five times my Paris Battleship survived in the Artic Region Hunts Subs. Secondly when I initially tested the results were staggering. And floating French Units are treated like Boats apparently? Does this apply if they're on land? Maybe this is the only bug I've found, other than that being incredibly lucky... One may wish to take the risk of launch the entire French Army and Navy out to get a percentage chance to perserve some of it considering how quickly it folds these days tongue.gif

Excuse me for screwing up

Originally posted by Liam:

One may wish to take the risk of launch the entire French Army and Navy out to get a percentage chance to perserve some of it considering how quickly it folds these days

Hmmm ?

Against the Axis AI (all difficulty setting maxed) you can defend France until Russia joins.

You have a 20% chance for free french for naval vessels, transports, amphibs and land/air units on UK soil - no difference concerning unit types.

So in multiplayer you can evacuate your french units and hope for luck, but then France will fall in 1939.

If you defend France and know what you are doing, then it will never fall in 1939 ;) . Usually France surrenders April-June 1940 - depending on the weather. With the first 1-2 clear turns of Spring/Summer 1940 Paris will be conquered, mud and some luck it can also be enough, but certainly not during winter time.

So the decission is if you want to loose France half a year earlier than normal only to have a 20% chance for your rescued french units to continue fighting - and you even can´t upgrade them with tech, so in combat they are useless. Can only be used as guard/anti-partisan units smile.gif .

[ September 16, 2006, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]