How to Deal With Malta and Alexandria?

I'm new to this particular game and I was wondering how to deal with places such as Malta. I could not find a way to invade it by air or sea. You can surround it with battleships, bombard it forever, and the garrison stays at eight. Amphibious transports would not unload and airborne units would not drop. In my experience a single corps held out for over a year in Alexandria in spite of being completely surrounded - from land and sea and attacked by far superior forces. It remained in full supply while my forces suffered supply blockage almost every turn - because of Malta. Any suggestions on how to crack these nuts would be appreciated.

Edwin made a good suggestion, it's very difficult to kill the Malta corps. Maybe it is not worth the price! First you must unentrench the Corps then you must cut it's supply, then you must destroy it. It's not an easy task, Gun Laying Radar for Italy, and 3 Experience Luflottes will do the trick after awhile.

Alexandria, just surround it, cut it's supply, smash with Rommel's supported Panzers? Or better yet Manstien and viola..2 air helps

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

Keep the port at Zero with attacks from Ships to prevent the corps from being resupplied and use air units to attack the Corps.

I never bother with Malta : I am not even sure that it goes to Germany when the UK surrenders, to show how less I care about it, lol.

But I will try this in my next game : destroy the port to zero and then poor bobms on it like there is no tomorrow.

As an anecdote : I have been to Malta and I got to say that -although it is a very poor country to European standards- I kinda liked it there. people are very relaxed : they even got that southern siesta-break, where alot of businesses close between noon and 4PM.

If you see the island, though, you don't understand why they could keep it defended in WWII, it has plenty places for corspes and even armies to land, despite the coastal fortresses.

Originally posted by Liam:

Edwin made a good suggestion, it's very difficult to kill the Malta corps. Maybe it is not worth the price! First you must unentrench the Corps then you must cut it's supply, then you must destroy it. It's not an easy task, Gun Laying Radar for Italy, and 3 Experience Luflottes will do the trick after awhile.

Alexandria, just surround it, cut it's supply, smash with Rommel's supported Panzers? Or better yet Manstien and viola..2 air helps

Really? Manstein played the viola? Sorry, Liam, I know it was just a typo but I had to post this. Manstein was such a serious and studious fellow, from what I've seen of him in books. I just had that comic image of him playing a viola as Stukas dive bomb Valetta.

Guest Mike
Originally posted by TaoJah:

[if you see the island, though, you don't understand why they could keep it defended in WWII, it has plenty places for corspes and even armies to land, despite the coastal fortresses.

Maybe because no-one actualy tried to land?