Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Douglas MacArhur on the russian war effort of ww2

The same man who referred to the Korean War as, "A gift from heaven to an old war horse." Or something very similar.

Achievement is an odd choice of word to describe such a long and massive slaughter. Though, of course, many of the campaigns do look very attractive when viewed on maps.

Many campaigns look impressive when you realise the scale of defeat inflicted despite the casualties sufered.

Imagine what the world would be like had the Soviets had as much industrial might as the USA in their own right.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

"We should nuke the corridor between North Korea & the Red Chinese. Then send in the missionaries."

-General Douglas MacArthur

And boom the soviets nuke Western Europe and Japan, the end of humanity...

Hmmm, I guess mother nature would have been the winner long term, ironic.

Not in 1951 they wouldn't - 1st Soviet nuke was detonated in 1949, but they probably didn't have another one until 1950, nd probably not moer than 3 or 4 when the 2nd was detonated in 1951.

Plus they lacked the means to actually deliver them!

Odd enough was the Korean Pennisula worth 50 thousand American lives in retrospect? I doubt that the Chinese believe it was worth what near a Million of there's?

Communist Paranoid Delusions

"Op Barbarossa was the last beautiful Front for a War

The Last Grand Campaign

from the Days of Ole, there will never been a conflict again in history with such beauty and reverence of course looking down on it"

~Liam

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

Not in 1951 they wouldn't - 1st Soviet nuke was detonated in 1949, but they probably didn't have another one until 1950, nd probably not moer than 3 or 4 when the 2nd was detonated in 1951.

Plus they lacked the means to actually deliver them!

Nothing like a war to make technological progress speed up tenfold.

Sad ain't it.

Going there now. It's 1:30 a.m. here -- if you want to start around my midnight today, that would be great for me.

Usually I love to play the Germans, so, if you don't mind -- I'll polish the old spiked helmet, clean the monocle, pull on the cavalry boots and we'll at last have that AAR going. smile.gif

200.jpg

Great I love trying the russians. I'm about 6 hours ahead of you so that works fine with me, I play either PBEM or tcp(ip.

After playing the germans against both JohnDiFool among others I just wanna give you some advice before this new 1.02 version;

German MMP is low and troops expensive....so don't die. Not easily anyway!

@Sir Jersey --- I like Slim Pickens in the Western classic,"One Eyed Jacks" starring Marlon Brando as "Kid", and Karl Malden as "Dad". Slim played a minor role as a deputy with classic lines! "If you're looking to get you're back broken, I'm the one who takes care of those things around here". "Oh boy are you going to hang. You're going twist & kick. Your face is going to turn all green. And I'll be taking care of your girl before they cut you down". Also in that movie is the great Ben Johnson!

-Legend

Thanks for the advice -- I'll try and stay clear of Stalingrad and Kursk. ;)

Haven't played either PBEM or TCP/IP yet with this game. We can mix both if you'd like. From what I've seen the game plays pretty slowly so maybe PBEM would be better as we're doing an AAR? I'll go with whatever way you prefer.

Looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, it's off to bed. Have a good one. smile.gif

Brother Rambo,

When I was a kid in the 50s, Slim was big on both TV and the movies, what I always loved about him was he could say something like what you've just described and it would come out with at least a little humor.

There were a few other guys, I've forgotten their names, but the guy who used to play Mr Haney on Green Acres was another great cowboy actor.

Most of those guys started out with either Gene Autrey or Roy Rodgers during the 30s and 40s -- usually they worked for both.

I really enjoy catching them on old reruns -- the problem is they're in things like the The Gene Autrey show, that only ran a few years like 1952-53, and the cable stations throw them in as fillers.

Glad you like him too -- most of the time people don't know who he was till they see him in a movie and suddenly they start laughing. I knew you'd be a fan of his, true movie buff that you are. smile.gif

Just a reminder, this forum is for discussions pertaining to the game. This post is more political and historical in nature and as such belongs on the General Forum. You may continue it there if you would like. I am closing this one down.

Just to be clear, no one did or said anything wrong as such, I just want to try and clean up some of the cross posts I have been seeing.

Madmatt