New Hybrid SC2 Counters

Hi Everyone.

I'm uploading some samples of some new 2-D counters which I've posted in the mod forum.

Hope you like them. SC2WaW counters are in the works.

D-Day:

sc2ddaylu5.png

Operation Husky:

sc2operationhuskypt7.png

Russian Front:

russianfrontwq8.png

Thanks to Hubert for making such a good game.

Thanks to Philippe for pointers on making posts.

Any comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Angus

Really nice - love the way the unit icon is larger than a counter, the detail but simplicity of design. To my eye the counters are stanting up, can you change the perspective to make them appear to lie flat?

If it doesn't mess up PBEM games (and I'm told it doesn't, I guess your opponent just loads his own counter set) I'll be using these.

You'd need to lose the angled shadow to achieve a flatter look.

Also the unit counter should be slightly lower to allow the number to be on the counter rather than half off.

Nice colour combinations. very clear.

not sure about the ships overhanging the counters, looks a bit like a compromise between counters and pics.

-my 2 cents

Nice...on the right track. Now have you adjusted the army sized infantry units to be Corps or do the smaller infantry nato rectangles represent the armies?

Actually I would like the smaller icons to be the armies but don't you think a star would be appropriate in place of the usual XXXX (which you didn't include) designation?

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and constructive criticism.

I will work on removing the shadows for the next go round.

Sorry about the overhang but if I reduced the images to fit within the counter, in most cases you would loose detail & the ability to distinguish what the unit was.

I’ve tried to maintain scale and detail wherever possible.

The SC2WaW units are my next priority.

I’m about 90% there but I’m constantly wrestling with the same scale/detail balance.

Please continue to comment on anything else you see good or bad and I will try to accommodate for the next update.

Cheers,

Angus.

Good points SeaMonkey.

I thought of the Generals as representing the Armies and the larger infantry units more as Corps size. The other smaller infantry units being a Brigade.

It’s a simple thing to switch the size of the infantry icons. I hadn't considered that.

Looking back at my COS units, they did only have XXXX for the armies and large nato symbols for the brigades.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Sometimes you're right the first time.

The shadows make the units appear to stand up. That effect is actually pleasing to the eye.

Regarding the overhang, I see nothing wrong with it.

The numbers being slightly off counter, nothing wrong with that either.

Regarding distinguishing infantry unit types, you appear to have room for the unit size coding at any rate. X, XX, XXX, XXXX. We all recognize the designations after all.