AI Level Question

In SC1 there were settings for AI plunder and experience levels.

Has HC enchanced these for Sc2? I.e. are there settings for an AI level based Diplomacy chits bonus and/or Tech chits bonus. Or perhaps even a random (unknown to the human player) bonus for the AI.

I asked this as in SC1 the AI players (except for the Italian AI who was always unusually lucky) did not seem to manage research well, and often neglected this aspect of the game.

The A.I. of SC1 was very awful IMO. It could only succeed in the most basic of operations where there was only one way for it to do thing's anyway. It had a VERY NASTY habit of sending forces right into the absolutley perfect position to be surrounded. Sometimes it would do this just to get a stupid mine or city, and other times it seemed to basicly just give up the game and send Army groups behind Russian unit's as a sacrafice or something, I could never figure it out.

All the A.I. in SC2 needs to do is realize that force conservation is more important then giving up all you have to take and hold a city for two turns.

Also, anyone who has played a full game in SC1 vs the AI while playing as the allies will realize how badly Germany handles the second half of the war. At some point or another the Russian's will destroy nearly all of Germany's unit's in Russia. The remaining unit's are almost never withdrawn to complete safety, and to make matters worse, new unit's (Alway's corps) are sent peice meal, in 1s and 2s, with no experience or even enough support to form a decent line. It seems the A.I. never realizes that Offensivly the war is lost. In other words, it is alway's trying to get to Moscow even when Russin's are outside Berlin, this just wastes unit's and makes for a crappy game.

I suggest the A.I. in SC2 have two settings that switch on and off during game play depending on the situation. For example, if the A.I. play falls below a certain number of unit's per city it owns, it switch's from Offensive mode to Defensive/Rebuild. This way the A.I. can start to fight a proper defensive war, and if thing's go good enough they can resume the offensive after they have caused enough damage or built up enough new unit's. You would be hard pressed to see a large scale strategic withdrawl in SC1 that actually made sense. Most of the time unit's are withdrawn that are ethier non-combat (Air Fleets and HQs) or badly damaged with no replacement chance.

The one thing that was nice about the A.I. was that it handled the opening of new front's fairly well. As soon as troops land anywhere that threaten's them, troops are withdrawn from elsewhere to deal with them, and usally the right about of force is sent. (Not to little to deal with the problem, not to much to strain other front's too greatly) If the A.I. in SC2 handles this just as well or better it would be a great plus.

The A.I. in terms of Offence also needed much work as of the first game. It would not always recgonize great oppurtunity's to encircle my forces or strike the right unit with it's forces. Many times a unit of mine was dead-to-rights by far and for some reason not destroyed. The A.I. will never be comparable unless it can set up large stratgic traps and well planned offensives. For example, the A.I. in SC1 would never set itself up for a Stalingrad type fight in which strong unit's are intentionly placed on flanks and held there until enemey unit's move into the center, and in turn are hit on the flanks and encircled. You can do it on the A.I. all day long, but never really recieve one in return. Without such manuevers, you basicly cannot win the war unless the other guy isn't even trying.

Just my thoughts, I played SC1 soley vs the A.I. (and I have played 100s of games) so I am very familer with it. In SC2 most of my games will probally be with the community but having a solid A.I. is a MUST as far as i'm concerned.

Originally posted by Night:

I suggest the A.I. in SC2 have two settings that switch on and off during game play depending on the situation. For example, if the A.I. play falls below a certain number of unit's per city it owns, it switch's from Offensive mode to Defensive/Rebuild. This way the A.I. can start to fight a proper defensive war, and if thing's go good enough they can resume the offensive after they have caused enough damage or built up enough new unit's. You would be hard pressed to see a large scale strategic withdrawl in SC1 that actually made sense.

An interesting, and practical idea. Now if the AI could utilize the information on the reports screen; :rolleyes: , this may be possible using the AI scripts. You would have a defensive plan that is triggered by Units/cities < XX.XX.

One issue that I see is that you might want to be on the defensive on one front and on the offensive elsewhere.

I wonder how what Night suggested could be handled with the AI scripts as they are now.

Originally posted by Codename Condor:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kuniworth:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Night:

Just my thoughts, I played SC1 soley vs the A.I. (and I have played 100s of games)

Ah yes, the joy of beating the AI the 100th time. </font>

Originally posted by Codename Condor:

lets clarify things, there are a lot of newcomers lately.

Hey, dont be fooled by this smack talking!!!! Meet Kuni, the Sweden Champ, Captain of Europe Team, undefeated by the AI, the Russian Hammer as we used to call him!!!!!!!

Indeed. I'll soon be charging extra for all these autographs I sign for children with cancer etc. Man you wake up one day and realise you're stuck in doing commercial spots and advertising all day long. Signed Nike-shoes, Levi's jeans K-model, kevin kline Kuniworth line and the list goes on. I guess it all started that famous day when I trashed the AI on normal difficulty. After that it's been a straight way to stardom, chicks, fast cars, good food...