• 3 weeks later...

For me, I consider the Tank Group as a Panzer Corps, a grouping of 2 to 4 motorized/mechanized infantry and armored divisions.

Now with the new SC2 editor, I can invision unit sizes at whatever scale you wish, but probably down to the Battalion size is about the lowest for the operational mechanics of SC.

Did anyone ever clarify if individual armies and tank groups would have their own commanders? Like say, a German tank group commanded by Guderian costs slightly more than a tank group commanded by Hoepner and is thus more effective? Did Hubert ever say he would do something like this? I think it would be a class addition to the game without overcomplicating it.

Colonel,

This was already discussed and the consensus was it was not to be. Since you will be able to use the editor to set commander names and ratings, you should be able to create your own commander and delegate a number of combat forces to his formation.

• 3 months later...

TB, you are right, visually. They are abstracted through the operational movement feature.

Remember you can move units between cities with open lines of communication simulating the transportation infrastructure.

How far can they go? Maybe it should depend on the length of time you designate to your customized scenario's turn.

Perhaps HC should investigate an OP move factor for each type unit based upon the turn length representing game time.

For example: Infantry corps AP = 3, for a one week turn, OP factor = 10, AP X OP = 30 tiles (best conditions), - 5 for inclement conditions.

Now for mechanized heavy equipment...ie. slower on and off loading, AP = 5 X OP = 10(week) /2 = 25 tiles.

Maybe a subsequent cost of MPPs for the movement, if either a rail or road movement(foot infantry low, mech unit high) is selected.

You get the idea?

I believe that the game will have the cost or number of operational moves affected by the Infrastructure Tech.

Personally, after Sc2 ships I would like to see HC release a version that would support rail and road tiles for improved modeling of lower scale scenarios - ie Battle of the Bulge, American Civil War

[ July 09, 2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

As originally posted by Edwin P:

I believe that the game will have the cost or number of operational moves affected by the Infrastructure Tech.

Infrastructure research gains will indeed REDUCE costs for operational movement.

To include - cost of transport, since, after all, improved Port facilities are a significant part of a Nation's infrastructure, true?

There will also be a % loss of unit morale, and weather will determine if and when a unit might Op move.

Interesting new! feature being seriously considered... an OPTION to only allow Op moves using a "rail-head." IE, the unit must be on or next to a city tile in order to Op move. :cool:

Or, you could dispense with this altogether, as is true with MANY other optional game-play items (... simple pre-game check-off), each of which may suit some certain packaged or modded scenarios, but not others. smile.gif