New Hybrid Counters for SC2WaW

Hi Guys,

Here are some shots of my latest efforts.

It's 95% finished.

Also working on replacing 3d version counters with these hybrid counters. Thia will allow me to introduce many variations. e.g. Rommel image for German commander in North Africa, SP guns, etc.

Please make any comments, good or bad.

Thanks,

Angus

D-Day:

wawddayjs9.png

Russian Front:

wawrussiaou1.png

Devils Brigade End Run in Italy:

wawdevilsbrigadeendrundj8.png

Skorzeny Lands in Africa:

wawskorzenytoafricahg1.png

Nice work.

This is the last thing you want to hear at this point in your work, but did you try making the counters bigger to fit the silhouettes since you can't make the silhouettes smaller without losing to much detail?

It might make the board too cluttered looking, but all you would need to do is figure out the right size for the widest image (probably the battleship) and make the counters a little bit wider.

You can figure out what the maximum limit is by looking at the british artillery and infantry counters near Alexandria in the last screenshot: as long as they don't overlap you're fine.

I suspect, however, that spacing will work against this.

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried to use the original military counterset size as my guide. As you say, if I were to expand the counter to the maximum you would hide to much of the terrain detail. You are right about reducing the silhouette size too. It would result in less unit recognition.

I decided when i started the project that i would try to keep units in the same class, to the same scale.

In the case of the tanks bigger generally meant better (with notable exceptions). This compliments each research level increase with a larger tank image.

In the desert scene above, all air units (fighters and TAC) are to scale with the exception of the Italian bomber unit at strength 6. I had to reduce the bomber scale in order to fit the immense size of the level 4 & 5 American bombers. Seeing a huge silhouette generally means trouble for the opposition.

I see that you already appreciate that it's a tough balance. smile.gif

These are great.

Question: What is the significance of the black background on a few of the German counters, or the bright red background on some of the Russian tanks?

And when will you be putting the WaW version up on CMMODS ??

Thanks for your work

Hi Gorgin,

All Tanks, Subs & Special Forces are a darker colour for all countries. (See Sherman tank & British SAS in D-Day screen shot).

I thought it would help distinguish these unique units and make it easier to spot enemy build-ups when just glancing at the map.

The extreme Red and Black for Russia & Germany also takes me back to my PanzerBlitz days... when I was much younger. smile.gif

I'm having a problem setting up my account on CMMODS. It appears my email address is already used.

Glad you like the counters.

Will post them somehow once they are complete.

Angus.

I think all you have to do is to click on "Forgot User Name". You'll get an e-mail ten minutes later, then you can click on "Forgot Password". I have to do this kind of thing all the time.

I'm assuming that at some point in the past you had registered at cmmods.

Sadly, I'm still forced to be Philippe_in_Exile there rather than padivine because I think the records show that my old e-mail was at AOL (gah! -- another reason to hate AOL). This effectively precludes me from updating any of my old mods without starting new versions.

Hi Aesopo,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not finished the WaW counters yet, but an early version of the SC2 counters are already posted in the mods section. Once they are ready I'll post them for everyone somehow.

I haven't got plans to do the global counters at this point but i guess that depends on how well these are received The process is very time consuming. (I haven’t even had time to play a complete game since the WaW release!)

Some of my current problems are:

Artillery units.

I've currently got the Russian 203mm Howitzer to represent Soviet artillery, but the 152mm might be better representative of this arm. Ditto for the Italians. I'm using their 210mm verses the lighter and more numerous guns in their park.

Bombers vs TAC & Fighter units:

I'm trying to figure out how to distinguish them more clearly. Especially the early 2 engine bomber models which are too small when compared to some fighters and most 2 engine TAC bombers. (this is my fault for sticking to a scale) The current bomber set has a slightly larger national marking. It may have to be made a bit bigger still, as it's barley noticeable now. Or I could simply place a bomb icon on the lower right of each Bmbr counter similar to what I'm doing with the TAC units.

Anyone with some opinions on this is welcome to weigh in.

Thanks,

Angus.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your encouragement.

I'm struggling with trying to decide what to include or exclude.

The Flak 88mm vs. PAK 88mm or 75mm for the German AT units is another dilemma. I had to choose the Flak 88 version because of its fame/numbers produced even if the others might be more accurate. Problem is it’s the size of a barn door and dwarfs most other AT units. :(

Not sure what to do.

I'll try and get something up soon.

Angus

The pak 88 is a valid choice and is easily discernible. You have to make compromises with what to put due to space limits and to save your valuable time. Whatever choice you would make will still be well received just looking at the images of your other counters.

Angus-

I am very impressed with the quality of these counters and look forward to being able to download them at the cmmods site when it is possible.

I also like have you have the tank units with colored backgrounds (black German, red Soviet) and the larger naval units actually seem well suited to the scale of the game and being able to quickly and easily distinguish what you're scanning for offensive or defensive considerations.

I used to play speed chess and if there was ever a "speed WaW" where a 2 minute timer required quick thinking and action decision play by each player, using your better-to-judge counters would be ideal for that as well.

Best wishes on your completion of your counters which could certainly be a good addition to what is already a quite impressive game!