Whatever happend to North Africa

With all these discussion regarding D Day it is perhaps worth flagging up that Normandy was not the only amphibious invasion during WW2.

I have looked through the scripts and have found nothing that may trigger an invasion of North Africa or Italy. Maybe I missed this but if not, any such script would be welcomed both in terms of realism and playability.

Thinking about it, why go all the way and include scripts for a possible amphibous invasion of Norway, Denmark, Spain (if allied to the Axis) or even Germany directly if the conditions are right.

Yep, these are scripts that still need to be added. I'm not sure if Hubert will ever add them, but the community certainly can. I've managed to script a US North Africa invasion, but it's difficult to get the AI to send an HQ over for support. Check out the scripting forum for more info.

Well, the scripts can be set up to account for these conditions, and could even switch to an alternate script where the US invades Spain.

What I've been trying to script is to get the AI to take Casablanca and move east to Algiers, circumventing any Italian ships looking to sink any US transports.

Originally posted by Timskorn:

Well, the scripts can be set up to account for these conditions, and could even switch to an alternate script where the US invades Spain.

What I've been trying to script is to get the AI to take Casablanca and move east to Algiers, circumventing any Italian ships looking to sink any US transports.

/cheers

That is the beauty of the scripts, that you can fine tune them.

Once again : I don't understand how the game could have shipped without a D-Day, but I'm sure you'll fix it !

Technically a D-Day CAN occur with the standard script, but either the US/UK aren't building up enough troops there via Transport scripts or there isn't enough room in the UK for 20+ units. In any case there is a simple solution to it, thankfully, but I'm sure HC will have a great D-Day in the next patch. smile.gif

Talking about D-Day, I have been looking at it in a game I am playing. If the Axis puts a unit next to Brest, I don't see how the Allies can invade France successfully. You have to get a port the turn of the invasion or you are doomed.

Originally posted by Timskorn:

Yep, these are scripts that still need to be added. I'm not sure if Hubert will ever add them, but the community certainly can. I've managed to script a US North Africa invasion, but it's difficult to get the AI to send an HQ over for support. Check out the scripting forum for more info.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but once again very dissappointing AI. This has been discussed on a number of issues such as U.S. MPP's, D-Day, leaving capitals vacant, etc. etc.

Great game and I like it a lot. I was expecting much more from the AI however. On a plus note, hopefully near an axis victory against the AI. US/UK & France kind of a joke, but the AI in Russia put up a pretty good fight. Maybe the future will hold better things, but WWII with little or no chnace of invasions of Nort Africa, Sicily, Italy and even France seems a pretty big flaw.

Getting Brest should not be that difficult for the AI imho. Normally the western allies have naval and air supremacy. So they can bomb brest free. At least in the 1944 scenario it works well.

And because of the really great editor in 10 minutes you can adjust the 39 Campaign to your skill level and give the Usa enough Boni to balance it smile.gif .

Some people love to play with an editor, some don't. Editing for what if's makes sense. The need of editing for basics does not.

The game should come with a good basic AI and reasonable historical basis without having to do editing.

I agree Yogi, but reality is what it is, and if we need to script basics then so be it. Personally I love doing it, I've done it for a living with RTS games. I think everyone should know that one way or another a solid 1939 AI WILL be available. Hubert is working on a patch that should address the major issues.

Also, editing isn't just about what ifs and basics, it's also about making a better AI. Even if Hubert released awesome AI from the start, it can always be improved to make it more adaptable and variable so each game can have different outcomes and strategies.

John: That is what should happen, and it can happen if you change the min/max to [12,20]. I've had the AI take Brest a couple of times, and they won't land HQ's until it is secured (and they have HQ's available).