Why can't I take over the country West of Tunisia? I was playing with the Axis last night and had my Romans take Tunisia from the French and the town to the west of the capital. Once the Germans captured Paris and France surrendered Tunisia claimed independence and kicked my Italians back to Libya automatically.

When I re-conquered Tunisia I still wasn’t allowed to declare war on whatever country that was to the west. I’d like to take it because the port South of Casablanca would be valuable to my subs.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is it a bug?

That country is Algeria. By default it becomes Vichy territory after the fall of France. As the Allies in a game against the computer, I put a British corps in Syria, in an effort to keep the city after the fall of France. I was surprised to find that my unit "surrendered" and the territory still went Vichy. I guess that is there to prevent the gamey player from "knowing" that Syria et al will go Vichy.

Algeria was a French Colony during WW2 still. It later fought with the French Government to gain independance. It is clearly difficult to represent the Germans overrunning all of France's foreign interests just because they conquor Paris. They could likely only get France's foreign possessions to remain neutral that is why it's represented in the Petain Government... Vichy Algiers