Well it goes without saying, and I hope it gets said some more.

If SC2 doesn't have some of the best in online gaming security (and lets face it, the hot topic on the SC forum is security of files), then it is quite possible no one is going to care a single iota what is designed into SC2 as they will have moved on to someone eles's wargame.

Hubert, you can and likely will do many things to improve SC with SC2, but I think we need some CONCRETE dialogue proving you have recognised this issue and have taken CONCRETE steps to ensure it will be a NON ISSUE with SC2.

If this matter has already been discussed, my apologies for starting a redundant thread.

Security Thread on SC2 with Comments by HC

Unfortunately there are some inherent limitations to the turn based system, but as I mentioned before at least the encryption of most data will help secure SC2 from some of the more popular cheating methods seen in SC1 like RAM cheats and so on.

In the end, and as even stated by fischkopf, the likelyhood of a completely secure system that cannot eventually be hacked is very minimal. The sad reality is that if someone really wants to do it eventually they will figure out a way (think of all the great minds and resources a company like Microsoft must have and how many security updates have they had to produce recently )

Now I could spend a lot of time and effort constantly trying to prevent cheating with updates and security patches... but instead I've decided to at least make it slightly more difficult and concentrate more on gameplay and design as unfortunately my resources and time are more limited.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

In my opinion, great game play and a powerful AI are more important than aiming to achieve a 100% secure system.

Someone somewhere with enough time can break any secure system and post the instructions on a public bulletin board. What HC is planing doing will make cheating in SC2 harder and more time consuming project for the hacker.

[ May 23, 2004, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]