sealion v.s. Egypt

I've seen sealion discussed many times on these boards - and against my friends I've been able to pull it off no prob. But in the small number of games i've played (5 or 6 now), it seems to be that taking England before taking Cairo is foolish. All it does is ramp up USSR and U.S. readyness, and makes it much harder to take cairo since brits can locally build forces there.

On the other hand, I find it hard to take Cairo before '41 - in which case, there's not alot of time to do a sea lion before barbarossa. Unless I'm just being too slow?

I'm sure you guys have opinions on this (probably already posted in another thread), but I'd like to get them again. In any event, it's seems like no matter what, there's no point in doing a sea lion unless you've already taken Cairo....what do you think?

Taking England doesn't mean anything really unless you get it "free." Meaning the Allies don't defend it.

Taking Egypt is in my opinion good for Axis MPPs, but not a neccessity. You can do both if you're an able Axis Player by Fall of 1940, but you'll probably lose to the Russians if the UK knows how to use his ships vs your Amphibs..

oh and having a UK base in Africa is just an option and works quite well, links up a supply of 8 and Iraq-Syria, all of North Africa possibly.

I would Say Sealion is more costy than Egypt, and brings less Options. The Only advantage ist that Taking Britain means that an later Invasion in continental Europe ist less probable.

Egypt Instead means: Middle East, Turkey Option and Baku Raid possible, so i would opt for this in mostly all cases. Also normally for a British Player it is mostly better to hold Britain instead of Egypt, so a Sealion is normally rahter heavy.

Originally posted by Liam:

Taking England doesn't mean anything really unless you get it "free." Meaning the Allies don't defend it.

"Free" means early. If you finish France by early summer 1940 and immediately invade England, you have a good chance of taking England before the Brits are ready to mount serious oppossition.

Holding England makes it very hard to invade Western Europe. And British production and loot will pay for the cost of the invasion.

Sea Lion and Egypt can get rolling about the same time. As soon as France falls, send 1 HQ 1 Tk 2 Inf Armies plust Italian Airforce and It HQ to North Africa. Same turn, bring all Luftwaffe to the northern coast of England to punish Birtish Airforce. Force British Air Units out of Souther England so they can't recon your amph. units. As soon as you poke the Brits in the Eye (pushing all aircraft out of range), land in England 1 HQ 1Tk, 2 Inf. Army. Keep always ready at least one paratroop unit to capture any port that suddenly becomes available. Keep 2 Inf. Armies ready for second wave.

Speed is essential.

Use your U-boats as a diversion, attack convoy routes heavily and almost recklessly as soon as France surrenders. The AI or Allied player will be tempted to send some surface ships after the U Boats. The more surface ships they send, the less you will have to worry about during Sea Lion. And, even if they turn back, they will be that much lower in supply and readiness.

During the fall, you should give all priority to England. Make sure you take London and southern England before winter sets in. After London falls, you may transfer 1 or 2 Luftwaffe units to North Africa. Winter won't hurt you in North Africa. Against the AI you should be able to knock England out of the War before winter is over.

Make sure you keep your finest HQ's in continental Europe. Level 7 HQ's should be good enough for North Africa and England. Your best HQ (Manstein) should support the Luftwaffe units in northern France. You will later need this HQ in Eastern Europe.

Russia may declare war as early as winter 40-41. But winter favors the defender, and, the Axis player should be able to hold any Russian attack with little probelm. As soon as England and Egypt fall, operate your airforce to the Eastern Front.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

I will not lose England, AGAINST ANYBODY, ever!

If I was playing the Allies, I would give top priority to England, at the expense of North Africa. In doing so I would make it all but impossible for Germany to assault the british isles, but I would limit my self to defending El Alamein - no attack on Italian Libya.

...of course, there is a price to be paid for this choice.

You already lost it in earlier games when I sealioned your Allies :D .

But England is not important - only if Alexandria falls too. Otherwise Sealion is more of a disadvantage for Axis, at least if Allies use the right defence tactics on their isle smile.gif .

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

REPEAT, I NEVER LOSE ENGLAND! Yodl does!

Originally posted by Terif:

You already lost it in earlier games when I sealioned your Allies :D .

One of you boys has a faulty memory...... :cool: :cool:

@Kuniworth --- When you're rich & famous, like an athlete, singer, movies star, or Legendary SC player like me, you've got time to burn. I could sell you some time. Now that I've answered your question, answer mine: Man, you ever wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and say "Ouch, what did I do to deserve the face of a vulture who wants to tax all the workers of their money & then you spend it for them?"

@Yodl --- I think you got London "after the fact", meaning I went Kamakizi when things were independently bleak of SeaLion. I'm sure your a little bit at odds with my C. Clay,"Rope a dope strategy".

Sealion is in deed only a real option if Allies go berserk somewhere else on the map - like your Allies have a "slight" tendency to do...and what happened when you got sealioned :D .

In any case Axis can always conquer the british island if they really want to and are willing to use/sacrifice the necessary ressources - but the defenders of UK can make it that expensive and time consuming for them so Axis will have already lost before they have the isle under their control smile.gif .

Sea Lion is even harder than in SC1, you get North Africa and you have more ships now... Plus vast limitations on Amphibious Units

few times I've seen it work the Allies were daydreaming, have had it happen 1 or 2 times

Real Hard to take England if the attack is spotted and the Axis have no Spotting, needing a bomber for good recon which takes ages to build and if the UK sees it coming with their bomber, then they can outmaneuver the Opponent