Hello everyone,

I haven't been keeping up with things so forgive me if this has been dealt with before--I've checked old posts, dev. diary, etc., but may have missed it.

I'd like to suggest that players be able to "switch sides" in H vs. AI games. Often, I've thought it would be interesting to start as Axis, then to switch to Allies just before Barbarossa. Or it might be interesting to "help out" AI for a few turns and initiate some interesting strategic varient (Sea Lion?) that AI could then execute.

(i.e. Game starts with human as Allies. France falls. Human "switches" to Axis and initiates Sea Lion: lands troops, puts airfleets in place, etc. Then human "switches back" to Allies and defends as AI executes Sea Lion attack with assets in place.)

This might allow advanced players to get more interesting games against AI without having to program many subtle strategic nuances into AI.

What do you think? :confused:

One issue I have with the AI in SC1 is that it does not know how to deploy and use HQ units.

In a game vs the AI at Expert Level 2 (+2 Experience) the AI successfully took Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, Denmark and the French part of Vichy France (it never attempted an invasion of Algeria).

Yet in attacking Russia it allowed 4 HQ units to be cut off in the Southern part of Russia along the coast (all were adjacent to each other). When the Allies advanced in the West and East it kept a HQ units in Yugoslavia and Spain instead of using them to support the Axis units facing the Russian advance in the East or the Allied invasion in the West. There were no HQ units in Germany or France or Italy!

[ March 09, 2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Another issue I have with the AI is that is seems not to invest as much resources in research as does a human player.

Perhaps allow an option for AI tech bonus on the setup screen. This would give AI nations a bonus number of free research chits based on the AI level and the major country.

Example:

Intermediate: German AI: 2 Bonus Research Chits, Italy 1 Bonus Chit

Expert: German AI: 4 Bonus Chits, Italy 2 Bonus Chits

Genius: German AI: 6 Bonus Chits, Italy 3 Bonus Chits.

[ March 09, 2005, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Update: Expert Level 2 Game

May 1944 - Axis Sub in North Altantic Merchant Shipping Lanes

June 1944 - 3 Italian Warships attack Free French Corps in Malta - Better Late than Never - Why so late?

July 1944 - 4 Italian Ships attack Malta

I'd like to suggest that players be able to "switch sides" in H vs. AI games.
This is planned. Ideally a multiplayer game with 2-6 players should be able to have any combination of human and AI players. If someone drops out, there should be a means to reset control of a country to either the AI or another human. The details of all this still need to be worked out. Assuming all of the above get implemented, it should then be possible to switch sides during a game, reassign human and AI opponents, and possibly have an AI vs AI game.

This sounds very cool.

I wonder who would win in AI vs. AI games. It seems that either all games should end in draws or that Axis and Allied wins should balance out over a large number of games.

If one side tended to predominate, it would be a sign that the game balance needed to be rethought.

I think AI vs AI in the current SC version would lead to mostly Axis victories.

Thanks for the encouraging news!