WAW Tournament - The K Man Vs Konigs (The Rematch)

German High Command issues orders to Kriegsmarine, "Fight on, we shall threaten Britain's naval dominance!" U-boats continue attack on Naval ships. Some good damage to one cruiser. Another sub runs into a blockade of destroyers and Cruisers (still in North Sea.) UK Battleships steam off from their bombardments on the city of Caen. (Intercept course?)

Meanwhile on the eastern front, the weather clears for air in southeastern Russia. With the snows now melted, the German troops eaily take Kharkov. In North east Russia, troops are roughly 50 miles from the gates of Moscow.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Konigs was correct as the pendelum swings his way for the RN. Unlike the turn before, the RN put some good hits on the U-Boats the last turn.

Turn 75 is now complete. May 17, 1942.

Congrats to Konigs on a well placed blockade. Took me a turn & half to understand the true concept of the new WAW subs. (as far as passing thru other units except destroyers.) So I assume due to the spacing of cruisers & destroyers, that stopped them in their paths. (Well played.) Too bad I didn't figure it out till my second attack. Lesson learned. Fortunately for the Kriesmarine, one destroyer is sunk. Tally so far in this episode in the north sea, one german u-boat, and one UK destroyer. Another Candian Cruiser & German U-boat heavily damaged.

In the east, good weather. Moscow is completely surrounded. More troops push on towards Voronezh & Rostov. Air attack from the middle east on the army division in southern Caucasus.

Kind of a quiet spring of 42, Allies approach and capture Moscow, advance north towards Archangel. No moementint eh south of Russia, some bombing and straffing of troops in the caucus. Italina special forces take Tunisia one turn before Operation torch goes into affect. Irirsh were also persuaded to join the Allied effort after special advisors sent in to help them. ;) Summer is rapidly approaching. Looks like it is going to rock ..... :cool:

North Army moves from Moscow to Vologda knocking out two Corps. More troops approach the outskirts of Voronezh. Something tells me this city will not go without a fight. Troops make preparations for the oncoming Americans and British in Africa. Should be a bloody summer...

Aug 1942: The axis make their move.

The allies had been putting pressure on Turkey to join their side in this war (2 hits this year.) The axis high command sent diplomats of his own, with little luck. (Hitler was furious, and ordered his generals to draw up plans for a fast but decisive attack on Turkey.) ("One way or the other, they will join," Hitler says.)

The attack commences in Aug, with an amphibious task force from Odessa, and plenty of fighter & Stuka cover from the Ukraine and Syria. New Upgraded Tiger Tank divisions also roll in from Iraq, to cut off any possible reinforcements from Russia (incase Turkey does not surrender.)

Paratroopers also land in the Capital, to complete the unconditional surrender of Turkey's fighting force.

I wasn't sure if this attack was a good idea, since I don't know what to expect yet in this game. Although, I couldn't believe how much the Amphib's cost. $91 MMP's for one unit! Had I not committed my other forces to the operation, I would have aborted due to the cost. Worked out in my favor, but wow those amphib's are expensive. Wonder if all countries are similar.

Yes nice move, Soviet generalson the Stalingrad Front panic, launch preemptive strike. LVL4 T-34s hammer in surprise encounter with level 4 Tigers. Another T-34 assaults a corp and deletes it. All generals sacked and replaced. Caucus front reinforced along old border with Turkey. Going to be exciting and definitely expect heavy casulties. smile.gif

German forces strike back against the LVL4 T-34's. Romanian Fighters (after the air to air combat with the Russians,) hit the remaining T-34's. Anti-Tank division is called on for the biggest damage. Stuka's also fly in the attack. Fighters are sent in separate attack on a HQ. Bomber continues to bomb city in Caucasus. German forces move to the outskirts of Gorky. Troops manuever around Voronezh & Rostov, as well as Turkey.

Allies liberate the poor peoples of Tunisia, eliminating a corp of Italian defenders. Soviets counter the taking of Voronezh with a counterattack of one lvl 4 armor, 5 point to 8 on a German army. Attack air craft, fighters and attack bombers hit lvl 4 panzers on the turkish front. The cities of Brest and Cherbourg are kept at zero, Brussels, mines and Kiel all bombed. The allied air offensive has began in the west.... smile.gif

Germans will rely on AA to counter the daily Bombardments. Fighters will also help out. Soon the weather will ground the air forces.

Two Tiger tank divisions move into Russia from Turkey, supported by an Army Group and the air squardrians. Russian Army is nearly Crushed, (down to 1,) but the Tanks take some damage as well. (Tough fighting in those mountains.)

Civilian Russians are fleeing the Russian City of Grozny from the constant bombings from the Germans...

More Tiger tank divisions crush Two Corps & take the city of Gorky.

Near the city of Voronezh, the Russian counter attack is stopped. The Russian T-34 division is destroyed by an anti-tank group with support from a fighter division. Stukas rain down on the Russian army division. The mop up continues as the german army moves down. An Anti-aircraft division is taken out with an Army & Tank division.

Yes heavy casulties around Voronezh. In the caucus we have better results. One tiger, down one heavily wounded from previous action by Axis. Poor civilians are running away from the firestorm that is Grozny. Axis casulties have been rather heavy on the east front. Brussels, Essen bombed, mines heavily damaged, RN keeps port cities down to zero in western France. Allied blitz accross North Africa gaining momentum, Tripoli neared by advance forces and bombarded by a BB.

Axis strike back in Caucasus Mountains. One green corp is welcomed right off the train, as it is shattered by an Army group & Panzer IV division. Revenge is taken on the Russian Army that took out the Tiger Division, and is trying to make it's escape. Two sorties of fighters fly & knock out the army as well. The remaining Tiger tank division has been sent reinforcements. Grozny has been given a break, so that its innocent civilians can escape. (Secretly the high command hopes this will clog up all roads coming in for the Russian reinforcements.)

High command hears the Russian Propaganda from their airways: "Axis casulties have been rather heavy on the east front." Axis airways assure its people, losses have been minimal (one corp & one tank division.) (Units have been taken damage however.)

Units are on the move towards Rostov & Stalingrad.

Nov. '42 Another Panzer down in the caucus. Soviets begin the hunt for the last panzer on Turkish border. Forces around Rostov ready for the impending assault. Allies kill off Italian army defending Tripoli. Port falls city next turn. Cherbourg, Brest kept to zero.Paris reduced to zero, heavy Italian flak and Italian fighters damages British bombers. All economies at full production.... 43' to be a big year...... smile.gif

Quiet turn for axis end of 42. Planes are grounded. Weather not favoring the axis. Tiger Division knocks out Army group in the south. Troops fall back into Turkey to regroup. Some damage to some Russian corps. Mountains in Caucasus are very treacherous for tanks. (Seems many have rolled off the mountain cliffs.)

WAW Observation: Regarding the 2 strike tanks.

At first glance against the weak nations (France, Poland, etc.)the tanks look indestructible. But as soon as you hit stronger opponents (like UK in Eygpt & Russia) who are well entrenched & good tech, the tanks tend to take alot of damage, especially if you use the 2nd strike. Costs money to reinforce these...

Can't say the Russian tanks faired much better against the germans. (Both were at same tech level.)

The weather finally favors Axis for next couple of turns. Kriesmarine takes advantage of that and attack in the channel. One destroyer is sunk, while a Battleship is heavily damaged (just couldn't get that one more hit.)

Reinforcements arrive for the German troops in Turkey. Bombings continue on Grozny (civilians have had ample time to escape.) Tblisi is also bombed.

Axis move in on Rostov. Russian Army in fortification is destroyed along with a corp nearby.

K Man: Makes the 2 strike tanks perfectly realistic - great at Blitzing the weak but expensive (if still dangerous) to use against the prepared.

I still don't understand why some nationalities don't get 2 strikes with armour. You could argue its leadership and tactics but I think other metrics (HQ, readyness, morale) cover this. Its true the French armour was technically better but used badly in 1940. But the poor French HQ/morale/readyness vs superior German scores. deals with this issue just fine. Perhaps this is the case - if you only get 2 strikes if you are above a certain readyness I'd regard this as an elegant solution. Reasonable for bombers too - you only get to run really high intensity strategic bombing if you are well organized.

Two subs sunk and one heavily damaged but did escape out the channel towards souther france. RN takes damage but virtually destroys the U-boat arm. Soviets still trying to position forces to fight the ever growing power of the Axis. NA blitz by american forces rolling, nears El Aghelia. Careless British BB commander roams to near Benghazi port and It. Sub cripples his ship. Italian army, next victim, waits in the city. smile.gif

Colin: I would agree on the tanks & bombers for that matter. All countries should have 2 strikes. But thats a good idea on the readiness solution. (Of course maybe thats why my tanks are taking some good damage in certain areas, due to low readiness.) I was definitly in good supply. In some cases I was unwilling to do a 2nd strike, because it would knock the strength too low. I do like the 2 strike capability. May just need more experience using them.

Subs didn't fair very well this time out (even at a higher level.) It will cost UK some $ to repair its damage however.

Battleship is sunk by Italian sub in Benghazi port.

Back to bad weather. Planes grounded. But still able to knock out 2 corps and a fortified army at Rostov.

Rostvo threatened, so Stalingrad front launches small counterattack using AT gun lvl 3 and a lvl4 Tank. They were able to knock out a Tiger and and damage an army down to 5. Lost tank unit and AT was knocked down to strength 3. Other wise absorbing replacements. Chebourg and Brest bombarded again. Advance on Benghazi moves forward.

The Rostov attack continues (April 43.) The AT gun is knocked out by a corp unit. Tigers strike at the Army group on Rostov. Knock it down to 2, and retreat. Use a corp and army to finish of the Russian army. Stukas and fighters rain down on another Russian army group in the swamps south of Rostov. Another Tiger division pulls into Rostov to finish of the army. Fighters also strike at the one remaining Cruiser near Rostov.

More air strikes at the Russian tactical bombers while on the ground after fighting the Russians in the air...