Cm hangs when scanning disk for scenarios

Hello folks!

Has anywone had and solved a problem like this?

I've installed CM and it starts up fine. When I press the Play Game button it says "scanning disks for scenarios" The computer then slows down after a brief period of disk activity. The message doesn't go away untill I click it. I then get the scenarios screeen but without any of the missions I have downloaded. The selection of scenarios is incredably slow, I click on one and it takes ten seconds before it is marked as selected. Once I start playing the game it runs fine.

No, there are no errors on the HD.

TIA

Bernhard

Hello again! Thanks for your replys. I have only about 5 downloaded scenarios on this PC and I have reinstalled CM (Complete installation) about 3 times, allways with the same result.

I don´t know if it matters but this is on a computer in an internet cafe running wingate internet sharing.

I don't think I made myself clear enough. It is not just that the scanning is so slow. The disk actually stops, there is no disk activity at all. The system will hang in this state til I click the message window saying "scanning disk etc." I then get the missions screen but it is incredably slow and the system is definately hanging as if it is short of memory. Once it loads the 3D it is fine however. This PC has 128 Mb of RAM.

Bernhard

Still sounds like to me that you're running the game through your CD.

Make sure that your shortcut points to the executable on the harddrive and not the CD.

Also if you are not seeing downloaded scenarios, that means that it's pulling the scenarios directly off of the CD.

Are you using any mods? If you have installed them, but can't see them in-game, then you're definately running off of the CD.

Assuming that you're playing CM on a PC...

Right click on the icon you use to launch CM. Left-click on the Properties.. item in the menu that pops up. In the line named "Target" make sure the command line says C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO\Combat Mission.exe (this is assuming that you've accepted the default location for the install). If it doesn't say this, then replace what it lists with what I've typed above. CM should now launch off of your hard drive.

You may also want to wipe clean your CD and possibly (carefully) dust out the CDROM drive with some canned pressurized air.

Move all of the files from the C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO\SAVED GAMES and SCENARIOS directories to somewhere else on your hard drive. Now copy one or two files to the SCENARIOS directory only. How does CM launch now ? You can keep on incrementally adding scenarios and operations until you have a problem loading up CM.

If you have the same problem with only a couple of scenarios loaded, then there is some sort of issue with the PC you're running CMBO on. You may want to close down any other applications or utilities that are running (using the Ctrl-Alt-Del method).