Roads and Railroads

Will there be any of that in this game? It would be most awesome of there were roads and railroad hubs. I find the aspect of road and railroad hubs as a place to strike fascinating. Plus it would give the map a little more...modern look. There is so much empty land on the map.

Just my opinion and I have just come across this game but it looks most interesting.

Thanks,

Jon

Hey Jon, I've very glad to hear your interest in the game. At present there are no roads or railroads per se but as Lars mentioned and including some of the recent changes to SC2 cities will act much more like railhubs than they did in SC1.

For example now you will only be able to Operationally move a unit if it is within or next to a city. The benefit of this is to limit mass movement and to allow the opposing player the opportunity to damage cities to a level below strength 5 (simulating infrastructure damage) thus limiting Operational movement options for your enemy (to and from) even more.

Hubert,

That's very interesting and should make a big change to the game. I've seen the computer Op move units a lot and sometimes in situations where they probably wouldn't have been able too.

If a unit is cut off - surrounded by enemy territory and units, can it still Op Move in SC2? I don't think it ought to be able to - be interested in knowing how things are shaping up at this point.

The general rule for Op moves will most likely still be the same, i.e. that it can only do so between cities where it has a direct path in terms of friendly tiles/territory but the above mentioned change should make things a little more interesting whereby you as a player will most likely have to plan your reserves a little more carefully, i.e. mass Op's from the East to the West Front will be a little more tricky in SC2

Couple this with the ability of your enemy to bomb cities with or without units on top of them (to eliminate railhubs) and this should make invasions like D-day all the more intersting ;)

How many cities will there be? Other than capitals, how did you decide which cities to put on the map? Just curious.

I was thinking about the railroads and roads and thought that, yeah, at this size they are sort of a given.

I guess these games are making more sense to me because I just bought Korsun Pocket and D-Day by Matrix games and they really made me feel like I got ripped off. One battle is all you get and I just don't agree with how it is scored and so forth. With these games, large scale, there is much more control over the entire war. I like fighting campaigns but when you can draw resources from all over it gives you more command.

Thanks,

Jon

Final number of resources and cities are still to be determined but for the most part the ones included are there either because they are the major cities/resources of the war and/or strategically chosen/placed for game play reasons.

Either way the nice thing about SC2 is that if you disagree with any of the original setup the Editor will allow you to change much of this to how you see fit, that, plus create entire custom campaigns which is a good thing as well ;)

It will be interesting to see how the AI takes advantages of these new features.

Will it bomb cities behind enemy lines to prevent reinforcements from being operated in?

Will it build bombers to facilitate this strategy?

Will it no longer operate units back and forth between Italy and France in the opening part of the game?

What will it do to guard against an allied D-Day?

Originally posted by Rono:

Will there be any of that in this game? It would be most awesome of there were roads and railroad hubs. I find the aspect of road and railroad hubs as a place to strike fascinating. Plus it would give the map a little more...modern look. There is so much empty land on the map.

Just my opinion and I have just come across this game but it looks most interesting.

Thanks,

Jon

I like the rail idea, though I can see how it may not work at this scale. Perhaps something can be done to include this?

Augustus