We all know that realism adds to the gaming experience. An easy way is thru historically correct unit names.

Not only the units present on the map then the games start, but also the units created thru the game. Hearts of Iron (HoI) is a good example.

Will this be the case with SC2?

I don't believe that too-much will be in the way of historical names...for units that you create after the initial game start-up,...i would think that...that will be the 'Onus' on the player himself to do that.

A half hour or so internet search should be enough to find what-ever historical unit names you might want/need for which-ever country.

Again, as alway's...you will get a reply from the game tester's as to 'exactly what will be'.

As you replied "it shouldn't take to long to find names on internet", is my point. It adds alot to the game and it's not hard to program. I think it's better to have this done at once instead of having 1000's of players having to do this by themselfs with maybe not to accurat results. Also see my next thread "Elite units?" (Yes, I spelled it wrong.) to understand the full experience this could give to SC2.

The trouble is...is that your unit creation dates are not going to match the historical unit creation dates...neither are your units going to historically move off to where they originally did...the only way for you to have what you are asking for...is for the game to do all the unit building irregardless of what happens in the game.

I believe that SC2 will start with the historical map and units...but, then ... from there... you decide what to do and when...as well as when and what units you will create...therefore...for the game program to start assigning names to your units is now no longer practical...as your build preferences and specifications will no longer match what was originally commissioned.

Here's the deal with names. The Editor will allow you to have a list of unit names by type for each country. SC2 should have a full list of historical names. When you buy a unit, you should be able to select from the list or create a new name. The unit menu should also allow you to rename a unit during your turn. Event scripts like Siberian Transfer can designate new units by name or let the game randomly select what's available from the list.

For custom games, there is an editable file to change names of unit types, research categories, etc. So for example those tank items CAN become Cavalry, Cavalry attack/defense and Heavy Cavalry research, and you can edit the bitmap files to show horses or whatever. Oil resources could become something else for all those pre-motorization campaigns. LOTS of flexibility!

I don't know offhand. Maybe 25 characters or so? Enough to have a decent description, even if some abbreviations are needed. Probably won't be able to have "Her Majesty's Lancastershire Royal Mounted Cavalry Reconnaisance Regiment" all spelled out. Although "Sharks with friggin laser beams" might just make it. tongue.gif

Cool, Sharks with Laser Beams. Another German secret weapon is revealed. ;)

More importantly, in SC2 units will collect individual honors based on the conquests they participated in; France 1940, Poland 1939, etc.

I wonder if this will include honors for the unit that captures a city - such as Leningrad or Moscow?

And the answer is:

Will I be able to keep track of the number of Battle Honors of any particular unit?

Yes. Each unit will have a list of successful campaigns it has participated in as well as a list of captured cities or resources. For example, Poland ’39, Stalingrad ’42.

[ December 13, 2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]