Attacking russia early

Nope. Far too early.

I tried doing it just after an early French campaign (i.e. Barbarossa starts May 1940 - if you're very lucky just in time to take the Baltic States). That's a better start date than Nov 1939 as you'll have more experience. More importantly, no second front and another >500 MMP.

It worked under 1.02 (with its tougher corps), but only if your opponent defended his cities (so you could trap and kill units). If he pulled back you were really stuck. You also have to be pretty accurate, especially with not triggering the Siberians until you're ready for them.

Two of the three times that I tried it under later versions, I died. The third opponent isn't able to play, so that's still looking good, but then it always does at first smile.gif .

Works a treat against the AI though.

[ January 27, 2007, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Bromley ]

It doesn't make sense indeed - I tried it in hotseat to see what happens - you can push fast indeed but yoou will have to stop in front of moscow or other sibs triggers - the sibs shift the balance a lot. Plus dowing russia so early and not being able to capture enough resources fast gives the red a lot of cash to toy with - definitely not a good ideea.

About a second front - don't be so sure - UK can do nasty things even before USA is in.

Doable, but why? Wait a year and build 2 Xs more units, in fact 3xs.. What is Russian Readiness producing between June '40 and July '41 really?

Ask yourself that and what German readiness is producing!

Brits can go on the offensive early with this tactic as HR says