sharpshooters-Why buy them?

When you can buy 2 light machineguns or 1 med. machinegun, why would anyone buy 1 sharpshooter? What advantages does it have that may counter balance all it's (many)disadvantages, i.e... 1 man unit, low ammo, high price, etc.

On a side note, can I run CM on a 200 mhz cpu with a voodoo (1st ED.) card? I know it will be slow, but can it be done?, & yes, I check the manual 1st tongue.gif

Any input would be great & I thank all of you

in advance.

------------------

"Far better it is

To dare mighty things...

Then to take rank with

Those poor, timid spirits

Who know neither

Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt 1899

I use sharpshooters to button up tanks. They are great for doing it, and leaves them open to AT teams. If you are lucky, you can also snipe the tank commander.

I've also managed t oshoot a flamethrower team off the back of an armoured car with a sharpshooter before :)

Dont know about your other question though, sorry

In one of my all armor games, I was in the middle of a heated town battle.

My tanks who were sitting on a hill crest were dominating the German tanks in the town. Suddenly, behind a building from my flank out rolls a King Tiger! I though my flank was about to br curshed as the KT would turn about and nothing could penetrate its frontal armor.

However, there was a sharpshooter about 150 metres from the KT. The sharpshooter took aim and killed off the TC, shocking the KT. Because of this, the tank did not fire or move into position for several seconds as all my tanks let loose on its exposed flank and destroyed it.

If my sharpshooter did not kill off the TC, the KT would turn its frontal armor to face me before my tanks would have been able to destroy it, and my game would more then likely be lost.

A machine gun cannot do this - their fire just isn't as accurate!

Yeah, I imagine having the bloody remains of your commander's head landing in your lap would tend to shock the crew you're in... biggrin.gif

Also, sharpshooters are useful as scouts. Quick, difficult to spot, armed with a rifle and a superb Mk. I eyeball, the sharpshooters are quite the useful units to have along for scout work. smile.gif

About your comp question. I do not know for sure, (having never tried with those exact specifications) but I would be prepared to wager that you will not be able to get it to work. The 200 MHz processor you can deal with, but the Voodoo I card will be a killer. Also, how much memory does the box come with? That could make or break your game-playing attempt all by itself.

Sharpshooters are also good for spooking artillery spoters at long range.

I used to think they were useless too, but check their kill stats at the end of the game Grobdeutschland, I think you'll be surprised at just how many casulties they cause.

Grossdeutschland,

The "hard way" is the best way to learn the value of the sharpshooter. In a PBEM against a friend of mine, he pushed a scout car containing a crack sharpshooter up with remarkable speed, and took cover on a forested hill with a good view of my advance down a road (rain, mud, and whatnot).

In the first 60 seconds after spotting my armor, he killed the first three tank commanders in a row, causing there regular crews to pull over into the scattered trees at the side of the road. All three Shermans then bogged, became immobile, and were eventually bailed out of.

The end result. I paid for three pieces of armor and he paid for a sharpshooter.

Clubfoot.

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 12-18-2000).]

Although 64 Mb MIGHT be sufficient, (not at all bad for an old box, good one) I would still give you slightly better odds of having the game be too slow to be playable.

However, it is still worth the effort. I was afraid that thing would have 32 or less, so you JUST MIGHT be able to play as long as you reduce the amount of smoke/fog graphics and such.

Go for it! icon14.gif

------------------

Honor, Duty, Courage.

Valhalla awaits you, honorable warrior...

im running the game on a vile little ****box compaq: p2 233 32 mb ram with a 16 mb voodoo 3 3000 card.

On tiny and small scenarios, its fine. Mediums grind a bit ( I just finished Elsdorf which was a bit slow waiting for the turns to compile, but OK.) but large is out.

Ill have to get a new computer next year when the prices on the new P4s go down...

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 12-19-2000).]

Guest Mikey D

I also use the sharpshooter as recon. He's much faster than a machinegunner, for sure! He hides well, and can send distant mortar teams to ground with a couple well-placed shots.

• 2 weeks later...

One scenario (I don't recall which one) the sniper was in a foxhole forward of the main defense, and once I realised he was there (it was a scenario default set up and I actually missed him for three turns, only realised when I heard him shooting) I took special note. Brit infantry were advancing across the valley, and he systematically took down every AT team and arty spotter that came within his broad view.

They're worth every penny.

------------------

"Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition."