Will this be added to CMBB eventually?

7.5cm PaK 40/4 auf Raupenschlepper Ost (Selbstfahrlafette)

rso_pak.jpg

This was the tracked tractor developed at the same time as the Radschlepper Ost for service in snow and mud conditions of the Eastern Front during the war.

It was developed by Steyr during 1942 and used the transmission of the standard 1 ½ - tonne Truck. The suspension was entirely tracked, though of crude design, which gave rise to excessive vibration in service. The suspension wheels were of steel, without rubber tyres, and springing was by quarter-elliptic leaf springs. Ground clearance was 55cm (21 ½-in), which allowed the vehicle to keep moving in the worst conditions.

Steering was by simply braking each track, without the use of any form of controlled differential, so that fine control of steering was almost impossible. Nevertheless, with a payload of 1 ½ tones and a towed rating of two tonnes, it was produced in between October 1943 and May 1944 and proved extremely useful in its designed role. They were built by Steyr, Auto-Union, Graf & Stift and KHD/Magirus. 83 RSOs were built with 60 mounting the 75mm PaK 40. The RSO began production in Oct of 43 and it seems production ended at the end of May 44. A production plan was formulated for 1944; March-60, April-100, May-150, June-200 and from July-400 per month.

The RSO with 7.5cm PaK40/4 vehicles were put on field trials with Army Group South. Of the 60 RSO/4 with PAK 40 14 each were given to Army Panzer Jager Abteilungen 743 and 744, 14 were issued to 18th Panzergrenadier Division and 7 were given to 1st Ski-Jager Brigade. They were not considered satisfactory on account of their low speed and noisy engine.

There were also at least three other tank destroyers which were planned to be built on modified RSOs. PzJag K43/1, PzJag K43/2 and the PzJag K43/3 all mounting 88s.

Specifications

Weight:

5200kg

Crew:

4 men

Engine:

Steyr V8 3.5l / 8-cylinder / 85hp

Speed:

Road: 17.2km/h

Cross-Country: --km/h

Range:

Road: 250km

Cross-Country: ---km

Fuel Capacity:

--- litres

Lenght:

4.57m

Width:

1.99m

Height:

2.60m

Armament:

75mm Pak 40/4 L/46

Ammo:

75mm - 25 rounds

Armor:

5-10mm

Originally posted by Ryan Crierie:

Yeah, I hope BFC can find some way to accomodate

us all...I'd be willing to pay $25+ for a

CMBB addon with dozens of new vehicles,

more terrain types, and unique buildings like the

Reichstag, etc etc

I'd settle for separate 3D models for all vehicles currently in the game. smile.gif

It seems 300 different vehicles in one game simply ain't enough for some people! Me- I still want the Maus and SU-57, never mind that after months of play (including the Betas) there's some vehicles I STILL haven't touched!

BFC cannot add new vehicles to the game now without totally screwing-up compatibility in multi-payer email/network play. They can update existing vehicle models and stats, but no new vehicles.

I'd really like to see some unique buildings myself.. a clear example, in 'BO there was a map set in Paris. The Eiffel Tower was an elevated point on the map.. a good effort but laughable, just the same. I seriously think this would add to scenario design and play capabilities.. and how much effort would it take, if tried? I'm curious. I'd be willing to pay twenty five or so dollars for a set of fifty unique buildings and vehicles, multiplayer compability (sadly) be damned.

Patches cannot add vehicles, they can only add the correct models and textures for vehicles already in the game that are now sharing the same model (like the certain Panzer IV models).

Add vehicles would require massive coding work into the already existing structure that is not doable in a patch.

CMII the new engine they will be writing next should alleviate this issue to some extent and allow more vehicles per game to be added and less time to incorporate each into the game. Hopefully this translates into more vehicles, each with seperate 3D Models for each type.

actually,

an add-on pack for additional weapons, AFVs, planes sounds interesting, while it cannot be done currently as a mod pack (only for skins), BFC could still modify the game and package it differently as an add-on.

And while the effort may still be time-consuming, I think it would pay off, i mean, who wouldn't want a

(name your obscoure tank/plane/weapon) and PAY for it.

laxx

Laxx

It cannot be done. At least not on the fly per say.

Lets use an example: GHOST RECON

In Ghost Recon you can play GHOST RECON or Desert Siege or Island Thunder or just plain old GHOST RECON. Now to play Desert Siege or Island Thunder you need those disks but also the core GHOST RECON software installed. Now basically each pack incorporates new weapons and terrain into the game. Basically mimicing to some extent what you are asking here.

Now the current CM engine does not work like that. Dan does a model and then gives it to Charles who then spends a significant time puting that into the source code .exe itself. This means that to add vehicles it would not only be way too time consuming but also would not be an addon but a whole new CMBB executable. Now a patch to a small extent does this also but let me explain the difference.

We will use GHOST RECON again. I own GHOST RECON and ISLAND THUNDER. One friend owns GHOST RECON AND DESERT SIEGE and my other three friends I play with only have GHOST RECON. Now without any exe swapping or anything we can play GHOST RECON provided we all have the same FREE patch.

BFC would have to dedicate so much time to what you propose that they would have to charge for it and also make it big and widespread enough with enough new vehicles (there aren't that many missing)to justify being able to sell it (these guys have morales remember). Now I have CMBB with the Maus and my friend does not. We both have patch 1.01 but guess what, we cannot play each other. The EXE's are different and will not work with each other. The community that BFC worked so hard (along with all of us) to create gets somewhat splintered.

And I am probably missing some technical stuff (actually I know I am) but that is the basics of it.

So other than BFC saying it is not going to happen, it is also not feasible, not good business, and due to the few vehicles missing (some by engine limitations like the M3 Grant that could never be added regardless) not even realistic.

Chalk this one up to reality.