New Detonator Drivers 40.52 released

If you have it left on 'Allow applications to control antialiasing mode' (the default), then FSAA will be OFF for CM. Very few applications/games control FSAA, so this usually results in FSAA being off when it's set to the above setting.

The 40.xx drivers have broken what was previously fixed in the 28.xx - 30.xx drivers. It will probably take NVidia awhile to fix it back again.

Apparently minimizing and then maximizing CM should clear up the problem with FSAA (according to some users - it might not work for everyone).

So, if I want FSAA, I have to go in that

advanced section and force it on?

Does it make a big difference in looks?

How much of a performance hit will I take

(I am running WinXP with an Athlon 1900+ with

512 megs of DDR ram and a Geforce4 4200 w/ 128 megs)

Thx

jonp

Originally posted by icedog42:

How do you update drivers with Win XP? Specifically, how do you re-install directx once you update the NVIDIA drivers? Microsoft doesn't have a directx d/l for Win XP? :confused:

Why should you reinstall DirectX after a driver update???

Microsoft doesn't have a DirectX 8.1 installer for WinXP. I've heard, but can't confirm, that the Win2K version of DirectX 8.1b will work in XP, but I wouldn't count on it.

Installing DirectX is something that you may want to do if you've had problems that could be attributed directly to the DirectX files. Sometimes it is suggested to uninstall your video drivers, reinstall DirectX and then reinstall your video drivers. This just 'freshens' the install so that all files are the correct version etc. Reinstalling DirectX isn't a necessity just because you're changing video drivers.

What is usually important to do is uninstall the previous drivers (and set your adapter to whatever default Windows recognizes for your video card or SVGA). Even if you have the same video card and you're just updating to a slightly newer driver it is recommended to uninstall the previous drivers. Some people have no problems installing over the previous set of drivers, but others do.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Microsoft doesn't have a DirectX 8.1 installer for WinXP. I've heard, but can't confirm, that the Win2K version of DirectX 8.1b will work in XP, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you are running and AMD processor, you probably do not want to install DX 8.1b . There are reports of some crashes associated with AMD processors and this version of Direct X. Apparently it was a goof up on MS's part when trying to optimzed DX for AMD. Until there is an XP installer, you would probably be better off waiting. It might have been fixed in XP Service Pack 1, but I'm not too sure.

Originally posted by Commissar:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

If you are running and AMD processor, you probably do not want to install DX 8.1b . There are reports of some crashes associated with AMD processors and this version of Direct X. Apparently it was a goof up on MS's part when trying to optimzed DX for AMD. Until there is an XP installer, you would probably be better off waiting. It might have been fixed in XP Service Pack 1, but I'm not too sure.</font>