Russian HQ's pistols

Originally posted by Tha_Field_Marshall:

I dont think that is a P-38 or Luger

Yes it is.

BMP 1936 as opposed to 1937.

Small view being 25033 and 25034.

Go check on the Demo.

Walther or NOT, both the Russian & German HQs have the same one.

But the Models is a Tokarev for one and a Walther for the other...

I've played CMBO with a Bren Carrier yielding a Japanese LMG, I guess I can survive such a small detail.

Originally posted by Fetchez la Vache:

What do the stripes on the sleeves signify? My knowledge of Russian uniforms is pitifully small...

The cuff chevrons are a rank badge introduced in 1935. Those shown on the pic are for a Captain thought the Lieutenant ones are very similar if not iddentical. Prior to that date rank badges were worn on the collar patches only.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

What do you mean? Is the default Bren .bmp actually that of a Japanese LMG?

welcome to CMBO. smile.gif

you will live nevertheless.

Fernando,

that is the sleeve insignia pre-1943 style for a soviet Kapitan. It is true that that of the Leitenant was almost identical, they were both (upwards) short red chevron - short gold chevron - broad red chevron - broad gold chevron, but while the leitenant ended there, the kapitan finished that off with a thin last red chevron at the top.

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

Fernando,

that is the sleeve insignia pre-1943 style for a soviet Kapitan. It is true that that of the Leitenant was almost identical, they were both (upwards) short red chevron - short gold chevron - broad red chevron - broad gold chevron, but while the leitenant ended there, the kapitan finished that off with a thin last red chevron at the top.

Are you sure there was a thin last red chevron at the top?

I've not seen any original Captain chevron with that thin red chevron at the top on Webster & Nelson's "Uniforms of the Soviet Union, 1918-1945." There are lots of pics of original shirts and tunics there.

Originally posted by Fernando:

Are you sure there was a thin last red chevron at the top?

I've not seen any original Captain chevron with that thin red chevron at the top on Webster & Nelson's "Uniforms of the Soviet Union, 1918-1945." There are lots of pics of original shirts and tunics there.

Damn, Fernando, you are right!

I was checking from a very small digital image that made it look like there was a thin red embroidery at the top of the chevron but it was just a display/monitor thing since the image was so small. I checked the original full-size source again, from a russian book, and indeed you are right there is no red last line/chevron.

Looking closely the difference between Leitenant and Kapitan then is that the Kapitan's last broad golden chevron is even broader than the Leitenant's upper broad golden chevron. To be exact, the upper golden chevron of the Leitenant is about half the thickness of the Kapitan's, and roughly half that of both's upper thick red chevron.

[edited for typos]

[ September 05, 2002, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

I must say that is a darn close P-38, anyway it looks almost like a P-38 I have in my collection,the one I own was made in 1943 made by walther. Also the Bren is a copy of a chek machine gun and yes the British bought a batch of chek MGs and used them for a while on thier tanks, I also have a Bren MK1,non firing per BATF {yeah right, HEh HEh}