Does anyone buy fighter/bombers?

Just wondering.

Fighter/Bombers still seem a bit too unreliable. They either destroy loads of units or nothing (Or worse some of your own units). I Played a quick battle (Imported Map) recently where I bought a Russian Petlakov Pe-2FT, the plane flew on and dropped all its bombs (can't remember if it does two bombing runs or just 1, but it carries 8 550lb bombs!) in a dead straight line down a road and accross a bridge in a town. The bridge blew up with about four enemy tanks on it, plus some on either side of the bridge crossing at fords. In total it took out about 8 enemy tanks and 6 of my own plus I had a company of infantry in the top floor's of the buildigs dotted around (They weren't too bunched up, the planes' bombs fell inline for about 300 meters) plus some German infantry all got wiped out. I know this is an extreme example but thats nearly 2000 points worth of damage done by the plane. To top it all off a stuka turned up a couple of turns later and took out its own sides last tank!

So does anyone use them in quick battles? Some times the strafing types can be real cheap.

Also there's a German fighter bomber avalaible in June 1941 recorded as having 2 1100lb bombs and 4 110lb bombs. Is this right? should not the "and" be an "or", even then 2 1100lb bombs?

[ November 26, 2002, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Makes The Jelly Judder ]

I imagine the German aircraft is a Bf110-F or -G model.

The E models were capable of carrying up to 2000kg in bombs of varying sizes, so no, I don't think it's a typo.

Edited: found a reference: http://www.214th.com/ww2/germany/me110/ reckons they could carry 2 x 1100lbers and had optional racks for 4 x 110 lbers.

As for the Pe-2 - well........it was used for dive bombing, but probably not as streeply as a Stuka so not as accurate.

As a single more-or-less-level bomber be thankful it hit anything belonging to the enemy at all!!

[ November 26, 2002, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Random power ups!

In some ways aircraft are like that. I occasionally buy them and I usually buy an AA or two to protect myself from them

Very useful or nada. I still like the idea of buying Air target TRP and targeting terrain features, which was done in WW II

I have used aircraft in a few battles .. against the AI and also PBEM's .... only ever had a few problems ... but when they work, they work good !

What I would like is an option to specify an attack window for the aircraft during the setup phase.

For example - No air attacks before turn #

or No air attacks after turn #

(with a +/- variable)

This would allow the player a small degree of control, without micro-managing the air attacks and without being able to say " I want it now".

Then I could at least approach an objective with some confidence that im not gonna get cut up by my own aircraft

Lou2000