With CM and CMBB, should I bother with ASL?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

redeker, I think the thing I like the most about ASL that isn't in CM is the modelling of machine guns, and the ability to

spray fire

sustain fire

cross fire

etc.

And to truly be able to dominate ground with an MG.

Don't forget fire lanes, residual FP, being able to fire German HMGs as LMGs when off the tripod, and scrounging LMGs from non-flaming wrecks.

Originally posted by redeker:

Don't forget fire lanes, residual FP, being able to fire German HMGs as LMGs when off the tripod, and scrounging LMGs from non-flaming wrecks.

That's the kind of stuff about ASL that I'd just as soon forget. Too much detail for me.

-dale

I agree that ASL made the game almost unplayable with all of the new rules. I had the original 4 SL games (sold and rebought when AH went out of business). Remember when AH mentioned in the GI: Anvil of Victory rule book that ASL would bring it all together and NO changes were going to be made, but everything from the 4 gamettes brought together?? I bought the ASL rules and some of the gamettes and quit cold turkey for two reasons: 1. New rules like that residual firepower that made the game slow to a death crawl. 2. The fact that I had to continually buy gamettes that cost $35 each and only getting a fraction of the coverage as that in the original series. Too much of a money pit, and boy was I pissed. Thank god that CM came out after the debacle with Steel Panthers and Close Combat!! Now I'm happy, nobody to search to play and the far more realistic Fog Of War and WEGO!!!!!!!!!

I will always remember Christmas and unwrapping Squad Leader though.............

-Ski

Oh yeah,

Big thanks for posting the purple box, I too always wanted to see what it was! Man was I obsessed with that game. I really want the ASL interface, any way to get it available on CMHQ or something like that?????........

-Ski

Originally posted by Teamski1:

I agree that ASL made the game almost unplayable with all of the new rules. I had the original 4 SL games (sold and rebought when AH went out of business). Remember when AH mentioned in the GI: Anvil of Victory rule book that ASL would bring it all together and NO changes were going to be made, but everything from the 4 gamettes brought together?? I bought the ASL rules and some of the gamettes and quit cold turkey for two reasons: 1. New rules like that residual firepower that made the game slow to a death crawl. 2. The fact that I had to continually buy gamettes that cost $35 each and only getting a fraction of the coverage as that in the original series. Too much of a money pit, and boy was I pissed. Thank god that CM came out after the debacle with Steel Panthers and Close Combat!! Now I'm happy, nobody to search to play and the far more realistic Fog Of War and WEGO!!!!!!!!!

I will always remember Christmas and unwrapping Squad Leader though.............

-Ski

Oh, I liked a LOT of the things ASL did, after having the same exact initial reaction to the "betrayal" as you did. But even liking "a lot" leaves a tremendous amount I don't like. smile.gif

-dale

Commissar, It's a question that only you can really answer. ASL is ASL and CM is CM. The only thing they really have in common is that they both "recreate" WWII. I do think that if you are possibly looking to get back into it to go to the mailing list http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mhb/aslml/ , the virtual Advanced Squad Leader website http://www.vasl.org/ and the ASL Home site http://www.advancedsquadleader.com/ before deciding. You will get a better feel for the state of the hobby by going to these websites.

I remember buying SL years ago and falling in love with it. I'm a "weapons" guy more than just strategy. I love knowing the diff capabilities of different guns, tanks, etc etc etc. and how they work. SL helped show me the strengths and weaknesses of different weapon systems. I went on to buy COI, COD and GIAOV. I used to keep the manuals out for pleasure reading.

You guys know how many games I got through? 3. The first 3 in SL. The 2 half board games and the 1 full board of the 2 combined. I sure hope someone makes a verson of that tractor works scenario in CMBB.

I just never had anyone to play with, and just couldn't get into playing any further games solo. But I loved pouring over the counters and rules.

No I'm married with 1.5 yr old and another on the way. NO WAY those games are coming out of the basement for years... if ever. I did really like them though.

Interesting to see this thread... Was it a year ago that I gave away all that Micro Armor?

For me, it is all a question of TIME. I just do not have any. I too have kids... and a job... and a life... and I could spend hours setting up all of those counters. After playing CM:BO for 2 years now, I know I will never break out the ASL again - despite the $$ sank into having it all.

Which leads me to think about all of the storage space that I do NOT have (I live in downtown Chicago, where space is $carce...), and I have a box full of old ASL stuff. It is a new, up-to-date rulebook (old variety, but updated through the Dutch Trucks Module, including all the PegBridge, KGP I & II, RB rules), all 45+ cardboard maps, and a ton of US, Brit and German counters. I honestly do not know what to do with it all. I am keeping the KGP I & II maps as well as the PegBridge one, but that is all.

Anyone interested? email me @ slybird47@hotmail.com First one can have it all.