Which Opperation To Play?

Hy,

I am not sure if you have downloaded even a 10th of that from The Scenario Depot...

A month ago I just about threw my computer out the window in frustration due to that web site. MANY links were not downloadable and it is just "gaa gaa" land to think you will find 85 operations there. As for 700 battles.. Yea right....

eric

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cauldron:

Hy,

I am not sure if you have downloaded even a 10th of that from The Scenario Depot...

A month ago I just about threw my computer out the window in frustration due to that web site....

eric<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scenario Depot is a very extensive, and recent, work in progress--and, I think, a major addition to the CM community. A LOT has happened there in the last month and I've recently been able to smoothly download many excellent scenarios.

Kudos--from me at least-- to Admiral Keth for his fine work!

Cauldron,

The Scenario Depot is a work in progress. Admiral Keth has to attempt to contact every designer of every cmb/cmc and get their permission before he can offer it for download himself. Quite simply, there are a lot of authors who can not be contacted and the Admiral can do no more than make repeated attempts. The depot is a work in progress. I hate to come off as chiding a new player, but realize the Depot is being developed and the Admiral is diligently seeking permission of as many designers as possible as a service to the CM community.

Best wishes and good luck in all your battles

Cauldron,

There is a legal process that I must follow in order to directly host scenarios. It would be morally and legally wrong to simply locate every scenario ever made and post them on The Scenario Depot. On one hand I could be sued, on the other I could receive the enmity of the entire Combat Mission community. Either of which could effectively close The Scenario Depot. The authors of the scenarios have a legal right to say whether or not I can host the files, therefore, I must first obtain written permission from them. This is a slow and tedious, but necessary process. Often these scenarios are hosted on other sites owned by the scenario's creators, thus they prefer that a link be created instead of a direct file host.

There have been lengthy debates on BattleFront's discussion board about what the proper method for going about hosting scenarios would be. After much debate, everyone on the board (especially the authors) decided that it was 100% necessary to obtain written permission prior to posting of the actual files. That didn't mean that the scenario couldn't be listed, and those people who already had the file couldn't review it; it was the CMB or CMC file itself which was the property of the author.

At this moment, there are only 7 operations and 51 battles that I have yet to receive permission to host or link. I have emailed their owners and I expect to receive permission to host those within the next couple of weeks.

In addition, you must remember that The Scenario Depot was created less than 3 months ago, thus has come a very long way in it's short life. As time progresses, more features and scenarios will be added to make it a very useful site.

While you may be frustrated at the slow speed at which files are being posted, rest assured that the methods I use ensure the permanence of The Scenario Depot.