Infantry Sounds

I was just thinking about infantry sounds, and I'm not sure whether or not this has already been discussed, so here goes.

Large groups of heavily equipped men make noise when they move. CMBO gives you an "Infantry Sounds" alert, but aside from a few LOS LOS LOS's and some KEEP IT MOVING's infantry on the move are a silent as Ninjas.

During MARKET-GARDEN, John Frost's Paras had to wrap their hob-nailed boots with cloth because they made so much noise on the pavement in Arhem.

Is it an issue with development that the infantry of CMBO and maybe CMBB make such little noise. There is a sound mod for just about eveything else, even those God-awful assualt boats. Why can we have the sounds of men moving and running? Am I way off base here? Chime in. :confused:

[ August 04, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

Hmm... Imagine the scene. A battalion of Soviet infantry advances towards German positions. EACH and EVERYone squad makes its own movement sound. A lot of squads there, each making it's own sound...It's a bit like having those "reload" sounds, whilst heavy firing you'll be getting your "click-cliks" all over. :mad:

I shouldn't think this is a concern. Not atleast for me.

Having infantry ambient and enviromental sounds (boots on various surfaces, sounds of grunts and heavy equipment) was all planned originally but limitations of code, time and space on CD resulted in them not being implemented. Where I was able to make a great deal of change is in the various unit scripts, or spoken sayings. They are roughly 12 times more varied than in CMBO.

Madmatt

[ August 04, 2002, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I understand the time and space limitations...but different footfalls would have been really cool - gloop, gloop in mud, crunch crunch on snow, etc.

And of course it's much safer recording these sounds than recording the sound of a hand grenade - I still wonder how many volunteer microphone holding assistants BTS went through to get the grenade sound. smile.gif