Loss of video

foamy

I have an anoying but livable problem. CM works just fine, never had a problem. BUT if I am playing IP and I "ESC" and go to say my web browser for this forum or to check my EMail when I come back to CM I have lost most of the visuals including the mouse cursor.

This requires me to close CM and re-open it, anyone have an explanation and fix ? I have a Vodoo 3000 card, Win 98

I can't remember all of the details of the Voodoo driver problems. I remember that the Voodoo 4/5 series had some corruption problems when you ESC'd or ALT-TAB'd out of CM and came back in. There is one issue of the Voodoo 3 family having all of the textures eventually go white. I believe one solution was to reduce the resolution that CM ran at to 1024 x 768 or less (though that didn't completely eliminate the problem). Some users claimed that updating the drivers and DirectX to 8.0a fixed it for them. I'm guessing that your problem may be related to these, but I don't think that there was a universally accepted fix for some of these problems.

You may want to do a search in the Tech Forum for 'voodoo 3' or 'voodoo 3000' or 'Voodoo 2000' and you may come up with some additional feedback. There are some third party hacked drivers out there, but I don't think any of them address this issue (mostly speed enhancements for OpenGL or something).