Exiting units

Not gamey, and actually fairly realistic (especially with e.g. bailed-out vehicle crews). You can do the same thing with captured enemy troops -- they may even be worth more when you get them off the map (I know this was discussed, but I don't remember the final answer).

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

I also believe the removal of units (in effect disengaging)offers a much more realistic sim in a 20-60 minute tactical engagement. I've started to extend this consideration to all units using a formula based on success/loss in accomplishing the mission objectives. Damaged armor, shocked vehicles, units with low or no ammo would be withdrawn if in danger. But I've even withdrawn a whole platoon that faced a 150 dash across open ground in the face of a Churchill flamer and at least a Company of troops with only the possibility of grabbing a small objective flag which would only be recaptured in a couple of turns at the expense of the platoon. The only scenarios in which I would refrain from this are those where holding the ground at all costs might be the directive, and I would still consider the withdrawal of ineffectual units to be proper.

Now in a boardgame I'd find this maneuver unfair but again CM is a different game and the preservation of troops adds something to the game IMO. I've tried to notify and check with my opponents on this policy and have found all in agreement so far. But as far as gamey is concerned, I would think opponents that demanded units to stick around and be destroyed or captured to be leaning in that direction rather than the other way around.

First off it is not gamey to exit units off the map.But as stated on p.100 of the rules. Any units exited off the map duing an operation is unavailable for use in future battles of the operation. Thats the only drawback of exiting a unit.

-----

Remember " No man ever won a war by dieing for his country. He won it by making the other poor sob die for his country: PATTON

I also exit crews, empty mortars, and even gun-damaged AFV's from time to time.

It's worth a mention that you'll take a hit to your global morale (I think) with each exiting unit though. Not nearly as bad, however, as having the platoon in Sidekick's example pan-fried by that Churchill Croc.

Clubfoot.

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Clubfoot:

It's worth a mention that you'll take a hit to your global morale (I think) with each exiting unit though.

Is it the case that you take an immediate hit to your global morale, or that each future hit counts for a little more because it's distributed across a smaller population?

Michael

Michael,

Your morale will be adversely effected immediately at the beginning of the next orders phase. It won't however effect your score towards victory in the AAR, other than depriving your enemy of kills.

I imagine the effect on morale is due to the rest of your forces correctly viewing units exiting in such a manner as 'lost', even though they are technically 'alive'.

Clubfoot.

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

In the interest of playing realistically I always move damaged and otherwise ineffective units to the edge of the board if I can do so safely. I do not exit them because of the global morale hit unless I feel they are in danger of being spotted and attacked.

This seems to me to be the best course too.

Oh, and Clubfoot, thanks for the clarification.

Michael