Is anyone using earlier versions of CMBO and why?

Not sure if I've missed something here but I seem to recall a few threads where players still use earlier versions of CMBO 'because of the direction the game went with patch X'. Are there aspects which players felt were better before they were fixed and if so what are they?

It's also of interest because I tend to wait until games have been out a few months before I buy to ensure they are as bug free as possible (not that I play much other than CMBO now, Medieval Total War MIGHT just get a look in mind). IIRC CMBO did not suffer with too many bugs anyway but I was still late getting it because of the time news of it took to hit the UK. I did think of waiting for CMBB to be released a few months too (doubt I'd have the patience though) but the above question just made me think, if you buy an already patched version there's no going back if you don't like the patch.

Originally posted by Bullethead:

I still use a pre TCP/IP version from time to time because its TRPs work much more realistically. Subsequent versions ruined TRPs.

Would you care to expand on that a little bit, BH? I'd be interested to hear your observations on the subject.

Michael

I agree with the TRP thing. Earlier you could adjust the fire away fro TRP just like you can normally adjust fire. With 1.12 the adjustment line shows green as if it'd be OK to adjust, but it's not. Adjust from TRP and it's a whole new countdown.

Much preferred the earlier setup.

But there are a bunch of improvements with the later patches, so I'm not even thinking of using an old version.

Michael emrys said:

Would you care to expand on that a little bit, BH? I'd be interested to hear your observations on the subject.
Can't believe you hadn't heard my rants about TRPs since this change happened. I bring it up at least once a month smile.gif .

Anyway, it's like Jarmo said. Prior to the TCP/IP versions, a TRP worked realistically. You got fire on it ASAP because the spotting rounds were done before the game to create the TRP. Then you could move (aka "adjust") the on-going FFE off the TRP within the green spotting line and have minimal delay, just like you can for FFE on a non-TRP target. However, the newer versions do not let you move FFE off a TRP at all. Any movement, no matter how small, starts the delay timer all over from scratch at the non-TRP level.

I find this completely unrealistic. A TRP is a known point because both the FO and the guns agree on where it is. The TRP creation process assured this. Once you have a known point like this, it's much easier to adjust fire off of it than it is from an unknown point. There is no justification for disallowing quick FFE adjustment off of a TRP.

Originally posted by Bullethead:

Can't believe you hadn't heard my rants about TRPs since this change happened. I bring it up at least once a month smile.gif .

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I remembered once I had read Jarmo's post. Well, FWIW, I agree with you. Wonder why it was changed. Hope it get fixed for CM:BB.

Michael

[ March 23, 2002, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]