Alec "Magua" Wade's Normandy mods

Magua released a full Normandy mod set quite a while ago for CMBO.

In that original set, only the straight dirt road texture was modded. Nothing for diagonal dirt roads, turns, or intersections.

I use a few different dirt road MODs and his "Normandy" version is one of them. Does anyone know if he ( Magua ) ever finished the remaining dirt road textures?

Originally posted by Green Hornet:

Magua released a full Normandy mod set quite a while ago for CMBO.

In that original set, only the straight dirt road texture was modded. Nothing for diagonal dirt roads, turns, or intersections.

I use a few different dirt road MODs and his "Normandy" version is one of them. Does anyone know if he ( Magua ) ever finished the remaining dirt road textures?

From what I understand, the "incompleteness" of Magua's roads is simply a popular misconception. Unless Magua comes out and says otherwise (by making a newer version) what you see is the completed mod. According to my very imperfect recollection of his notes, he mentioned that he was not satisfied with his trees. I don't think he ever said anything about his dirt roads.

If you look at the mod carefully, you'll realize that one problem with modding all parts of the road is that the road begins to look too rutted. Yes, it is supposed to look rutted after a fashion, but what you're actually looking at, on this scale, is two single lane dirt roads and a median strip. This is very different from the two tire ruts that would be produced by out-of-scale vehicles. By not carrying the rutting into all the tiles it is easier to maintain the illusion of the proper scale.

Phillipe,

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying about Magua's road being two single lane dirt roads separated by a median strip. I guess what I'm still not clear on is how its "easier to maintain the illusion of proper scale" by not modding all the dirt road bitmaps.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding ( or maybe my question was unclear ) but my original message did not mean to imply that I thought he should have modded all the pixels on a given dirt road bitmap or "filled in" the median strip.

The dirt road bitmaps in CMBO are 600.bmp -612.bmp. Magua only modded bitmap number 600 ( the straight section ). I was wondering if he every modded the other bitmaps 601 - 612.