Parker's Crossroads 3rd party scenario.

Not sure, is this scenario supposed to be PRO-Axis? I've played the game very sloppy as the German and it still seems that I'll win. I mean I haven't called in artillery, I've run right across the open ground, tanks roam everywhere without infantry supoort, blah blah blah.

Anyone else think its imbalanced?

I designed the version of Parkers Crossroads featured on many sites, including WBW's "Boots and Tracks". I focused on the history of it..the real battle was over in about 45 minutes. The Americans had nowhere to hide, yet had to be on the crossroads to defend it. Its terrible.

However, they did managed to hold on against minor assaults for the preceding few days, before the Germans got fed up and through them out. It is, I'm sorry to say, unbalanced. But my version takes that into account in the victory conditions..which one are you playing?

My version can be found at..

http://WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK/

"Parker's Crossroads" is a fun scenario. I would suggest that the author of the scenario give the americans a boost by adjusting the victory margin in the scenario parameters menu. It is pretty much given that the Germans will win, but with the added victory margin for the allies it will be more balanced.

I must confess to having been about 80% through the creation of a Parker's Crossroads scenario before I realised someone else got there before me.

It seemed very much in favour of the Germans as well, as far as I could tell. (and frankly, it was a bit of a smorgasborg anyway and probably wouldn't have made a great scenario)

NTM

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

I have'nt played Parkers Crossroads yet, but I am excited by the idea that people are making very historical and realistic game scenario's, that depict what happend in the war. I guess...It would be neat to have a sub folder of actual battle's that play the way they are supposed to happen. Almost like your own recreation of the exact war but obviously not, just the story line and amount of troops andadvantage to axis or allied. Realistic scenario's that emulate what happend in the actual battle sound fun to have at least for the historical accuracy of it.

It would be nice to make a scenario where everything happens just as it happened in the real battle it portrayed.

That is not possible, however, for a number of reasons.

1. The limitations of the game. Many things cannot be recreated in a game because you are limited by the things a game does not provide you.

2. Lack of historical information. Unless you can interview someone who was there, you are limited to a minimum of third hand information, often flavored by an author's bias.

In addition, how do you know how much ammo each squad had, or what the names of all the squad leaders were, or where exactly each was located? Or how many trees were in the area? A couple of trees too many could block a line of sight and cause the scenario to take a different turn. And so on.

3. How the Game develops. You can't predict or dictate to the AI how it is to fight the battle. It may not choose to fight in the same way as the country fought in the historical battle.

The AI may choose to send two or three units down road b instead of road a which the historical units used.

4. Unpredictable results can change the course of history again. What if a tank gets a shot and a kill of a tank that in the real battle was the hero and survived?

Example, Wittmann scenarios. There is no guarantee that Wittmann and his tank will survive until the moment it was disabled by a 6 pdr AT gun in an ambush.

What if Wittmann gets killed early on? Then is it no longer historical? So do you quit and start again? Good luck!

So yes, you can set up a battle that is generally historical, but totally historical?

Impossible!

Now if you don't care about playability and just want a scenario done that reflects all the historical elements, you can get it.

How well it will play and what the outcome will be may not be challenging at all, or may be impossible to win.

And think about this. If you were able to recreate a totally, totally historical setup, exact # of men in each squad, all names and ammo supplies accurate, every hill and tree in place, would it still play historically? Probably not.

The human element and the unpredictablity of the AI negates such a possibility.

So when someone does design that "perfect" historical scenario that plays out EXACTLY like the real battle, I would really love to see it!

Have you ever thought about if the real battle had been fought all over again, it could have had a totally different outcome?

Some battles have hinged on one or two units being very fortunate and/or performing heroically. The chances of such a thing happening exactly the same way twice historically is absurd. How many "chance" elements affected the battle of Midway?

But as soon as one of you has that "perfect" scenario, send me a copy. I want the one that plays out to the end just like the real battle. I can't wait to try it.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com