Scenario Fever! I've got it!

It's impressive and a testimony to the editor in CMBO the quantity of scenarios that have appeared from all sides.

A lot of you have let your creative juices flow. I'm delighted to see that. Nothing like looking over a piece of work you've sweated blood to do.

In the next couple of months I hope to have at least a half-dozen new scenario and hopefully one small operation to offer to the avid players of Combat Mission.

Keep watching. They will begin appearing any day now. We'll include French, Poles, Canadiana, British and the good old GI.

They are coming!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We'll include French, Poles, Canadiana, British and the good old GI.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about the Germans Bill? ;) won't be much of a scenario without them! Unless you plan on having the Americans and British meeting for tea somewhere behind the lines... :eek:

BTW, it's good to see you are still around and thinking CM.

Bil

What a pleasant surprise, Bil!

Good to get this note from you. I'm looking forward to this next CM as much as I did this one.

I hope you'll be donig some more of your top notch scenarios too.

Yeah, the old Germans will be thete. They are always there...by default.

I'm surprised they don't have a complex about being picked on...well, maybe they do :D

Wild Bill

Gotta love that design work, Panzer Leader! You are quite the artist!

Thank you for the kind words. I love the game as you all do and enjoy immensely the challenge of creating battles that all of us can enjoy.

A good mega campaign will have to be done by one of us, my friend.

BTS is strictly the gaming part. Now if some of the designers will take it on, it could be done.

The biggest problem of a Mega Campaign or Operation is the size vs the time frame and the map.

When you say Mega campaign, are you suggesting the idea of a series of maps and battles linked together?

As you well know, currently an operation (aka Campaign) is all done on one map. We at present do not have the luxury in CM of making a series of linked battles over an extended period of time.

It is something I would love to see, and of course, not all CM'ers would take it on.

A lot of folks play the shorter, fast fight scenarios due to a limited time frame. I think in fact that this would form the majority of those who have purchased the game.

The rest of us are devoted die-hards and an occasional mammoth fight that last for weeks of play would be fascinating.

What about taking the Big Red One from Omaha to the Rhine in one campaign? Take a rifle company, move it inland through France and to the Siegfried Line.

Better still :D, what about the 70th Tank Battalion, that began it's career in North Africa and fought all the way to the heart of Germany, including Tunisia, Sicily, etc.?

It would be a challenge and a lot of fun for those who could "hang"

Wild Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

Better still :D, what about the 70th Tank Battalion, that began it's career in North Africa and fought all the way to the heart of Germany, including Tunisia, Sicily, etc.?

Wild Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa! Gotta catch my breath smile.gif

If we could only have that sort of campaign, I wouldn't have to buy another game in my whole life ;) (except CMB2B of course, where this kind of mega campaign is extended to raising and training little farmboys in anticipation of a four year long campaign smile.gif ).

-Anders

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

What about taking the Big Red One from Omaha to the Rhine in one campaign? Take a rifle company, move it inland through France and to the Siegfried Line.

Wild Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wild Bill,

Any chance you would design one of these? You're work is always the best. You could follow the model of the Mini-Campaigns "No Rest for the Weary" and "Any Port in a Storm" by Patrick Ware--that way avoiding the single-map limitation of operations. But whereas Ware's work tends to be on the scale of a reinforced company, it would be great if you focused on Battalion level conflicts fought by the 1st Div (and maybe Armored Co. + Infantry with the 70th Armored Battalion).

I just finished replaying one of my all time favorites, Team Desobry. I'd love to see you bring your talents to one or both of the conflicts you describe right here.

The BIG limitation here is the fact that you cannot link up battles using more than one map.

This means that you could not take units that survived one operation and move them to the next.

What could be done is a series following the same unit as it fights across Europe. That could be ... and should be done. But it would be a SERIES...a campaign as I envision one... a number of battles following the history of a particular unit through the war.

I would love to do something like that. Those campaigns sound interesting. I'll have to see how Patrick did his. It does sound inviting. Send me some time guys! :D

WB

Wild Bill,

Glad you're thinking about it. Patrick Ware's "Mini-Campaigns" are, as you say, a series of battles that together make a sort of campaign--no Five Star Series-like continuity of units, but that turns out not to matter much as you get into playing them. They tend to be small unit fights rather closely linked in time--maybe a couple of weeks for six battles.

If I understand correctly what you have in mind, the battles might be on a somewhat larger scale and might take place over a period of months or even years, with key fights of the 1st Div or 70th Armored Battalion highlighted. Losses, etc., to specific units wouldn't matter much over that time span, since the forces would receive replacements. You could give units appropriate experience levels and equipment for the specific time frame and fight they were in, and carry us along from North Africa to Germany on the verge of collapse.

I think it would be terrific if you could find the time to do it. I'd favor the 70th Armored if I could get my wishes since I think their battles are less widely storied and you have such a flair for armored combat but either one would be great.

And take you time. We'll wait! I'm sure the results will be worth waiting for.

Appreciatively,