A few newbie questions!!!

Hey guys, I just bought Combat Mission a few days ago and I am completely amazed!! I originally refused to buy this in spite of the good reviews, because I didn't think it was possible to make a decent 3D strategy wargame. I can't believe just how wrong I was. I spent four years in the army and have been dying to play something like this since being exposed to real world tactics and equipment. Anyway, I just have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer:

1)I'm looking for a link to the most detailed face mod that some of you could suggest. 2)Air support...seems that it's not very usefull despite the high cost...I had purchased a couple of fighter bombers in one battle and they continued to fly overhead and shoot at a knocked out enemy halftrack. Had similar experiences every time I used air support. 3) Wondering if anyone else likes using defensive structures when on the defense(barbwire, mines, etc) and how you employ them. 4) Has anyone bought the field manuals available on this site? I want to check out a couple of them, but don't want to waste money...I used to have a bunch of manuals like this from correspondence courses in the army, but I got rid of them. Oh, and one more...5) Suggestions on online resources for platoon to company level tactics used by tanks, infantry, combined arms, stuff like that.

Well, that about covers it...looking forward to posting more in the future as it seems most people in here are pretty helpful. Thanks dudes.

1st team!!!

Welcome on board.

Some quick answers.

Mines and barbed wire can slow down an attack,use them in places where you think its most likely an enemy will advance.

A machinegun bunker behind these fortifications do stop an infantry attack long enough to rush in reinforcements.

To clear fields you need engineers with demo charges.(except for daisy chains)

Aircraft are a bit too expensive I think ,better to buy extra artillery or armor for it,sometimes they end up bombing your own troops smile.gif

About the manuals,most guys on the tacops forum have these manuals,I think there is a sitable to which has them.

Ask overthere and you will get enough replies.

Henk

And don't take anyone's word for it, compare all the available faces on the same page.

http://cmoutpost.net/lists/cmbo_odds_ends/faces.htm

EDIT: And Mike Stewart's was the latest and greatest for hi-res detail, also at Tom's CMHQ. You have search for it carefully on the page, there is a link for it in the text somewhere...

[ November 01, 2002, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: kump ]