noobie qns- movement commands

hello to all the veterans here.

I have some qns about movement commands that i hope the dudes here can throw some light on.

1) It seems that we can't advance or move or whatever and then set the next waypoint as assault. Isn't that what we want, move to a position nearer to the enemy before we carry out the assault. We can do the other way though- assault then move.

2)Can anyone confirm that conscript can't use the cover arc command as it is not mentioned anyway in the manual.

3)Does the infantry really dish out suppressive when advancing under enemy fire or is it just an abstraction?

About 3): Advancing infantry does "dish out fire", but their effectiveness all depends on how they're moving.

If they're running or crawling they're basically not returning fire at all.

If they're moving (walking) they will return fire but not very effectively. Same - I suppose - goes for human wave.

If they're advancing you've got to imagine them rushing forward in bounds then hitting the dirt, giving their fellows covering fire, etc. That's why they tire so easily while advancing. But they do fire pretty effectively while advancing.

[ December 09, 2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by nirvana:

hello to all the veterans here.

I have some qns about movement commands that i hope the dudes here can throw some light on.

1) It seems that we can't advance or move or whatever and then set the next waypoint as assault. Isn't that what we want, move to a position nearer to the enemy before we carry out the assault. We can do the other way though- assault then move.

The gist of "Assault" is that your units have to prepare, get instructions from the Sarge or Lt., etc. So they have to begin from a halt, then start their assault.

2)Can anyone confirm that conscript can't use the cover arc command as it is not mentioned anyway in the manual.
I guessing that you have the CDV "partial" manual where the rest is on a .pdf file somewhere? I believe you're right, though.

3)Does the infantry really dish out suppressive when advancing under enemy fire or is it just an abstraction?
Yes, some, but more so while assaulting.

The gist of "Assault" is that your units have to prepare, get instructions from the Sarge or Lt., etc. So they have to begin from a halt, then start their assault.
Normally, assault begins in position close to the enemy- 10 or 20 meters maybe. I'm not sure the troops can get this close to the enemy before starting the assault. Wouldn't it be safer for a sarge to tell his charges to advance to a nearer position before starting an assault.

I guessing that you have the CDV "partial" manual where the rest is on a .pdf file somewhere? I believe you're right, though.

I do have the full manual, straight from battlefront itself.

Thanks for all the advise, it will gonna make the game more fufilling.

Not only can conscripts not use cover arc. Conscripts cannot ADVANCE or ASSAULT. Why this isn't mentioned in the manual (I have the book) is beyond me. I thought it was a bug the first time I saw it, and actually did a save file on it, before realizing what was happening.

I think conscripts are considered troops that are lucky not to be tripping over their own feet. :D