Ok, Madmatt and I have been in touch. I will convert the Mods to Mac, but I have a question for any Mac programers out there. After coverting the mods, I will have 3 rather large files. I can either create a segmented Stuffit archive, or do a ResCompare patch. Unfortunately, ResCompare sucks, so my question is, is there anything that does what ResCompare does, but better.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a Mac programmer, so I can't answer your question. But I do want to say thanks. I'm glad someone is going to get the mods done.

You mentioned that you were the one who translated CoolJ's mods for the beta demo (I know that's wrong, but can recall his exact name). Didn't you have a web site for that? If so, I liked your earlier versions.

buddy,

Yeah, I saw your earlier thread. The mods themselves will be worked with in ResEdit, but what ResCompare does is create patches that only include the modified resources. The patch can then look at a clean file and just change those that have been modified. It makes for a much smaller download (unless you change everything). The problem is, that the patch will only work with a file that is identical to the original "Compare." This means that if I make a patch to an unmodified file, the patch will not work on an already modified file. A good example of why this sucks is the FOW Flags that CoolColJ came up with. The patch would work on an unmodified graphics file, but not on one that had his other graphics mods applied.

...I think I'm rambling. I hope that made sense.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye:

I'm not a Mac programmer, so I can't answer your question. But I do want to say thanks. I'm glad someone is going to get the mods done.

You mentioned that you were the one who translated CoolJ's mods for the beta demo (I know that's wrong, but can recall his exact name). Didn't you have a web site for that? If so, I liked your earlier versions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that was Colin, our 14-year old Mac addict, who at his age has more maturity than certain other people a bit older than him on this board will ever have. You can find his website on the CM webring. He has been absent for a while now and is missed. It is car_12 or something.

------------------

Andreas

Hrm... I didn't realize that ResCompare sucked like that... I sent off an e-mail to Kwazydog suggesting that as an option. The other option I mentioned was for me to code up a quick utility that would let you drag and drop the BMPs and WAVs onto it, and it would update it automatically. Now, I think this will be pretty straightforward, but I don't want anybody to get their hopes up too high, since I haven't done a whole lot of Mac programming... I'm going to look into it this weekend, but will be out of town most of next week. Also, someone before mentioned trying AppleScript. I know virtually nothing about it, but it may be a better option if we have any vetern AppleScripters about. I'm not even sure that ResEdit is AppleScriptable though...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Ok, Madmatt and I have been in touch. I will convert the Mods to Mac, but I have a question for any Mac programers out there. After coverting the mods, I will have 3 rather large files. I can either create a segmented Stuffit archive, or do a ResCompare patch. Unfortunately, ResCompare sucks, so my question is, is there anything that does what ResCompare does, but better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Updater VISE from Mindvision will let you create an installer that updates resources in the way that you want, i think.

A couple more questions for you:

How can you have only 3 files? Aren't there lots of Graphic and Sound files? There are 6 of them in the demo.

How are you planning to get all the files into resource files? I assume you won't do it manually? I'm just curious. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by G4A (edited 06-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Updater VISE from Mindvision will let you create an installer that updates resources in the way that you want, i think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you are correct. I'll pop on over to Alladin and check it out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>How can you have only 3 files? Aren't there lots of Graphic and Sound files? There are 6 of them in the demo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never looked in the Data folder of the Gold. I was basing the 3 files on the beta.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>How are you planning to get all the files into resource files? I assume you won't do it manually? I'm just curious.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, yes I was planning on doing it manually. Its not bad with the graphics, but it is a tedious pain in the ass with the sounds

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Berlichtengen, I did like your handiwork and appreciate your willingness to take this on again (maybe with some help this time?). And now I do remember downloading the mods on Colin's site.

Look forward to hearing about more progress on the mods as you techie types figure out how to get it done.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>That's Mindvision, not Aladdin! www.mindvision.com

Why do you say it's harder with the sounds? Just curious again? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, Oh yeah, that's right... Aladdin is their competitor. I checked it out...$600!

Sounds... let's see if I remember all the steps.

1) convert WAV to System sounds

2) Open sound resource in ResEdit

3) open individual Sys Sounds in ResEdit

4) Change resource number

5) copy resource and paste into Sound Resource.

Repeat steps 3-5 about 5,00,000 times... ok, it might be fewer smile.gif

What, you mean you won't pay $600 for something this important? wink.gif I hope you noticed that Mindvision's installer and updater are free to shareware/freeware developers. I guess the mod qualifies as that.

Your process for converting the sounds doesn't seem so bad, except for that last step where you repeat everything... wink.gif Seriously, I just started working on an AppleScript to automate the whole thing. I'm getting a lot of dumb error messages that don't make sense, but so far I've eliminated step 4 of your procedure. Would you be interested in that. It's only $600! wink.gif

If you need to do the graphics / sounds manually, I can lend a hand.

sounds are definately more work. Sure hope that applescript works out. If not, hopefully a few of us can split up the work?

let me know if you need seomeone to help cut and paste...

thanks!

dave

Hey, CoolColJ, we Mac users figure we'll let the PC users do all (or maybe most) of the hard work, and then we'll take advantage of it. Sort of what Microsoft did with the Mac OS, eh? wink.gif

(No, I don't want to start a PC vs. Mac flame war!)

Seriously, it looks like we will be able to use what MadMatt, Kwazy, and the rest of their team has done. No sense in reinventing the wheel.

Okay!! I'm back!

I haven't been around for a while.

I'm gonna start workin' on my site again!!! I need to decide exactly what I want to do with the site.

I'm gonna be workin' on it alot tonight!

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

Guest Big Time Software

FYI for Mac Mod makers:

Sound files on the PC are in WAV format. This can be converted to Mac format (i.e. 'snd' resource) by lots of utilities.

HOWEVER! Because the sound code on Windows is a bit different from that on the Mac, the Windows sounds are "pre-amplified", meaning that their volume levels are different (usualyl louder) than the "same" sounds on the Mac.

So if you're taking Windows WAV sounds to modify, make sure that you adjust the volume (i.e. amplitude) so that it's roughly in line with the original sound on the Mac, otherwise you'll get Mac sounds that are too loud or too quiet. Just use your ear to adjust.

Charles

I successfully converted CoolColJ's Enhanced Audio MOD for Mac and it only took me about an hour. smile.gif

I used VISE Updater to make Patches for each of the sound resource files in the gold demo. The only problem was that VISE Updater created rather large files. The final Update is 11.3MB frown.gif. Download it Here anyways and tell me what you think.

It will be even easier to convert Graphics MODs. CoolColJ's Enhanced Audio MOD was the only thing I could find.

[This message has been edited by MuaHaHaHa (edited 06-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MuaHaHaHa (edited 06-18-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

Hey did ya have any problems matching the correct sound files?

I thought the Mac files had names not numbers like the PC wav files?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all biggrin.gif , I assumed that "00000129.WAV" was the same as resource 129 in the Sound 1 file and so on. It was very easy, just a matter of copying and pasting and matching up numbers.

MuaHaHaHa, I have to ask something. Why does everyone say it's harder to conver a sound Mod? In both cases you just copy, paste and match up the numbers, as you said.

BTW, you don't have to match up the numbers manually, you can do it with AppleScript. I did the CoolColJ sound mod too, and it was a lot easier that way. Only took me about 10 minutes. smile.gif Let me know if you want the script.

MuaHaHaHa,

I updated the sound files, and when playing there is a lot of noise and feedback - during the movie playback only. Switched back to my original sound files and I dont get the noise, etc. I used the updater again but same thing happens.

what I can hear sounds good, but the feedback is rather bad, and washes out everything else. Not sure what caused it, but thought you would like to know.

G4A, If you dont mind I wouldnt mind seeing the script to see what you did. Interested in learning more about this so any help/assistance is appreciated. Feel free to email me if you want to.

thanks

dave