Help Wild Bill

Hello Bill: I have my first 2 scenarios on the planning table. I am stuck in one area.

I want to give attacking units the option of attacking from any side of the map. The defending units will be in the middle. How can I get the ai to place the units correctly? Thanks for your time.

sniperscope

UPDATE: Sorry, I did not express my topic correctly. I meant for Wild Bill to help me, not that he needs help.

[This message has been edited by sniperscope (edited 07-05-2000).]

Sniperscope,

Have you defined the setup zone in the map editor yet? I believe it is the 3rd rectangular button under the terrain mode and elevation mode buttons. You should be able to define the set-up zone so that it is a band all the way around the map edge. Whether, or not, the AI will use it "randomly" I cannot say. That is probably a Charles question.

Mike D

aka Mikester

The first three colors are for the allied,the next three are for the axis and the 7th color(grey) is the neutral zone.

I hope I didn't get them mixed up.Black is Axis and red is allied so that should help a bit...I hope. smile.gif

-Monkeybutt

[This message has been edited by Monkeybutt (edited 07-05-2000).]

the different colors IIRC are so a scenario designer can separate his forces maybe setup according to some historical positioning...and keep the forces say in area blue from being setup in area red to keeep setups at least semi-historical.

It could help you in your setup by putting two different colors or all 3 for a side in the positioning you want. Means manually setting them during the scenario make-up.

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

[This message has been edited by pathfinder (edited 07-05-2000).]

Hey Sniperscope!

Folks could argue about me needing help. Opinions vary on the matter biggrin.gif

Setting up...okay, in scenario design it does not matter where you put zones. When you purchase units, they will appear on one edge of the map.

When that happens, you must then move them by clicking on each one and then typing "p" to place them.

I usually place them in the general area where they will be in the battle. Once they are all there in a pile, then I carefully put them in the exact spots I want them.

Now, if you want them to stay in precisely those spots, you must click on the unit and then call up the unit menu (space bar), then padlock the unit.

When you do that, the computer will not move anything. It can't. After the game begins, the setup remains as you had it until the first move/fire turn.

On the other hand, if you want the computer (or the human player) some liberty in placing units, you draw in zones of control.

There are three zones for the Allies and three for the Germans. The gray is neutral and serves as an eraser should you make them too big.

If you choose the latter of the two options (you can mix them too, padlock and zone), then I first draw a zone. Then I go to map preview, and see if it is where I want it.

Then you go back and forth till you get it right.

Next, place the units inside that box. Example:

I have a platoon of US Soldiers I want in a red zone, another in a white zone, and two tanks in a blue zone (patriotic colors, no?)

So I draw my three zones. Then I check them. Then I put in my units inside of those zones.

Now when the game begins, the human player can move those units anywhere INSIDE those particular zones. He cannot move them outside that zone or into another zone. That is why units in those zones have bases that are the same color as the zone.

Note that if you leave one outside the zone, it can't be moved in the setup turn of the game either.

You have three colors so you can have up to three separate zones for each side.

Then you do the same for the computer side.

Remember, the computer will move those units around inside its zones during setup too, so if you don't want units on one or both sides moved AT ALL, then padlock them. Then the computer won't touch them.

This feature is very good for barbed wire, mines, and bunkers/pillboxes. That way if you have them set up to cover a specific fire zone, they'll stay put.

Now all of this has your head spinning and reads like code. Print it out, put it beside your computer and experiment with this on some quick made scenario till you get the feel of it.

I hope this helps you and anyone else having a problem.

If I've been unclear, let me know.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Thanks Wild Bill and the rest of the gang.You guys have answered all my questions. Now in response, soon I will be submitting my first scenario for your review and if you find it good, for posting on your website. All I can say for now.....it deals with a Russian plot, sorry thats all I can say for now.

sniperscope

[This message has been edited by sniperscope (edited 07-05-2000).]

Thanks for the mini-tutorial, Wild Bill!

However, I'm confused now. What is the difference (for the purpose of games against the AI) between padlocking units and choosing "use scenario default positions" in the scenario start menu?

Perhaps I'm misreading, but your message seems to suggest that the padlocking units is the only way to make the AI use your default positions. If that's true, then what is the effect of choosing "use scenario defaults"?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

also sniper you can set units up in the "grey" neutral area also. But these units will be locked in position.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually those units are in kind of a 'free-setup' mode. if you 'lock down' a unit it will get an orange base during setup and cannot be moved, period.

Units in the grey zone can be re-placed, but only in one of that side's 'colored zones.' they cannot be moved within the grey zone however. also, say you have more than one colored zone, if during setup you take a unit in the grey zone and drop it in one of those colored zones, it will then only be allowed to setup within that colored zone. at least this is how memory serves...

andy