Sturm, Sturm, Sturm!

This will be going out to you playtesters soon. Compared to my other attempts, this could be considered rather conventional.

'Sturm, Sturm, Sturm!' is an assault operation composed of three battles (15 turns each) with night falling on the second battle.

As far as operations go, this one is a small one. The attacking Germans are composed of 2 Sturmgruppe companies with a StuG platoon and a pair of Hummels for support, as well as a warm, heavy artillery blanket to snuggle up with. The third company and additional StuGs are held by battalion as reserves. The defenders are the depleted remains of a British rifle battalion with moderate AT assets.

It's fun from either side against the AI (with your usual AI bonuses) and also good for head to head play.

And now, a screen...

sturm-or.jpg

[ March 07, 2002, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

Of course you'll get it Ryan. That goes without saying. ;)

The terrain was a bastardization of some of the DFDR stuff and new textures. An aborted attempt at a Med. mod that I never finished to my satisfaction.

[ March 04, 2002, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

Here's my AAR:

Battle One: Moved one sturmkompanie up on each flank, with all the armor (save one StuG III) on my right side. Ran into to minimal opposition on left side so I kept going, though I got bogged down in the city on my right flank. Enemy artillery and PIAT's KO and disabled both Hummel's and several StuG's. My infantry slowly ground their way through the city while my left flank had an easy hike through some woods. At the first battles end, my infantry was halfway through the city with moderate casualties while my left flank was far ahead with minimal casualties.

Battle Two (Night): I lined everybody up on the left flank for a massive breakthrough, leaving two partially depleted platoons on the right flank for defense on the edge of town. The LOS for the left flank was so that I had to charge the enemy positions without suppressing fire. Now I know why the Battle of the Somme had so many casualties, as I recreated that battle with my own little "charge." However, a British platoon can't stop several companies of Storm troopers, but they can sure slow it down. I suffered horrendous casualties, entire squads being wiped out in a matter of seconds. However, my numbers soon took their toll on his defenses, so I had my men rest and recover as three of my StuG’s shot up two Sherman’s who had blundered over. After my men had recovered, I had them run to the extreme far left corner of the map, along with all my MG's, mortars, HQ units, spotters... About this time, the Brits decided to launch a spirited counterattack against my weak right flank, which barely held. When the turns were over the AAR screen showed up. It said:

Axis Attacker:

160 Casualties (57 KIA)

4 vehicles knocked out

Men OK: 310

Allied Defender:

244 casualties (88 KIA)

1 captured

1 gun destroyed

2 vehicles knocked out

Men OK: 91

OPERATION RESULT: Axis Total Victory

[ March 09, 2002, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Panther G ]