GJK Light Grass 3

Ok, this is the final incarnation I believe. I didn't like the "speckling" that my Light Grass 1 & 2 showed at close up view. So, all I did for this one was raise the brightness of each *original game* tile by 15% which matched *exactly* the color/brightness of my 1 & 2 mods. So, with this, you get the same look at higher levels as my first 2 mods without the speckling at the lower levels.

GJK_Light_Grass_3_screen1.jpg

GJK_Light_Grass_3_screen2.jpg

GJK_Light_Grass_3_screen3.jpg

GJK_Light_Grass_3_screen4.jpg

Get it at my site, look for GJK_Light_Grass_3

[ October 04, 2002, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: GJK ]

Gary,

I failed to comment in your previous thread, but I wanted to say that whatever it was you did eliminated the "skin-like" appearance and it looks fantastic man. I'm going to add one more comment here, and again, just a matter of personal opinion: it looks too green for anything other than spring / summer scenarios. Have you looked at "DD's High-Res grass" over at the CMHQ? It does not have as good of a textured effect as your light grass 2 (or three, for that matter), but DD did SOMETHING to give it a toned down color that will work fine with any season. Again, I'm just throwing that out there and if I were only limited to spring / summer scenarios (or there was some way to easily switch between terrain sets), I'd use your grass as it looks great at any view level now. Thanks for all your work in making this game even better.

I'm downloading DD's now. That's for CMBO, is he working on a CMBB version that we know of? The screens look good, and it does have some nice texture added it looks like. I'm curious to see if it has the "speckling" effect at level 1 like I was experiencing with mine.

Thanks again smile.gif

Originally posted by Agua:

Gary,

I failed to comment in your previous thread, but I wanted to say that whatever it was you did eliminated the "skin-like" appearance and it looks fantastic man. I'm going to add one more comment here, and again, just a matter of personal opinion: it looks too green for anything other than spring / summer scenarios. Have you looked at "DD's High-Res grass" over at the CMHQ? It does not have as good of a textured effect as your light grass 2 (or three, for that matter), but DD did SOMETHING to give it a toned down color that will work fine with any season. Again, I'm just throwing that out there and if I were only limited to spring / summer scenarios (or there was some way to easily switch between terrain sets), I'd use your grass as it looks great at any view level now. Thanks for all your work in making this game even better.

Give me a time/weather/season to test. I've tried different times and a few different months and I didn't notice the "too green" effect. Post a screen if you want/can (email it to me and I can post if you like).

Okay, as for your grass, just pick November, pick January, mid day clear skies, central section. Don't fool with the texturing on yours: it's damned near perfect. My wife commented on DD's grass during a summer scenario I had up last week (I just imported that grass to cmbb). She said "looks kinda dry". Well, I guess it may look kinda dry for spring / summer, but the compromise pays off (just opinion here), in that it works for all seasons.

[edited to add "January"]

[ October 04, 2002, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Agua ]

I just loaded up DD's. Looks really nice. Not sure if it's my screen, but it almost looks like a "frost" is overlayed:

DD_Hi_Res_Screen1.jpg Mid-day, Novemember, Central

It will be nice if it is adapted to CMBB as well, the higher elevation tiles are missing.

Mine:

GJK_Light_Grass_3_screen6.jpg Mid-day, Novemember, Central

I think I see what you mean, Russia in November is not this green I wouldn't think smile.gif

Yeah, would be nice if you could select terrain sets for seasons aside from just winter/every other season, or can you?

[ October 04, 2002, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: GJK ]

Most places I've lived in the US, the grass is green from fall through spring, because that's when the rain falls. It gets dry in the summer, because there is less rain and the sun is hot.

From what I have read, conditions in most of the East Front were similar. Lots of water—though much of it frozen—from October through about April, give or take a month in any given year. Not so much from May through September. Lots of heat June, July, and August.

Anybody got better met specs for that area?

Michael

Light grass 3 despeckled higher elevations work. Perfect. I guess I misspoke when I said "Green". It's more like a kind of "lime" overall effect in the lower elevations. I don't know jack about coloring, but maybe a grey or some small amount of darker brown in it or something??? (don't take those color comments literally, I don't have a clue about what colors do in combination). Yours does a better job of depicting elevation changes as well.

Just render another opinion, I like a brighter, more saturated green. For my taste, the stock grass that comes with the game is too drab. Having spent a fair amount of time outdoors in forests and meadows, I have often been impressed by how vibrant the colors can be in nature.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Well, based on the screenshots, I think I like 3 a little better, especially close up.

BTW, Gary, that's some extremely weird looking wheat you've got there. Noticed any unusual aerial phenomena lately?

:D

Michael

Actually, that's just the stock wheat, but I've thought about making a "Crop Circles" mod just for $hits and Grins :D

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

I like this better Gary, only thing to my eye it looks a smidgit too light, just a tad, after install. Me gammer is all the way up so that effects it ofcourse, but it looks lighter a little bit than version 2.

It might be Bruno. I did go tile by tile and compare the original to my LG2 (light grass 2) and then adjust brightness accordingly. Actually, in almost every case a +15 was the setting. If you have photoshop, all you have to do is run a action script to go through each of the tiles and then adjust the brightness as desired. That's all I did for this version.

I played the just released SL5 Hill 621 last night against my brother (get that one if you haven't already!) using LG3, and I think it looked just stunning. Not just because of my mod, it's a great map and the lighter grass with the dark green trees was just awesome.

Thanks Apache, but I think this IS the final version. I've run it through several different seasons and times of day and I'm pretty happy with they it looks in every instance.

However, I am open for suggestions, and if I can make a change that would improve it all the better, then I'm up for trying it.

Bruno's suggestion of somehow having seasonal grass is a valid one I believe. Instead of using the same tiles and have lighting (gamma) changes for the season and time of day, it would be outstanding if the seasons would use a different tile set altogether. But, I do understand there has to be limititations and I think this is one of them. The BMP's alone take up 700+ mb when installed on the computer. The grass tiles alone are 30 mb (approx.). Having different grass for each season is 120 + mb just for grass. And that's a lot of grass (dude). smile.gif

Nope, they look fine to me too. Just didn't want to go though a big DL and get a version that you would replace. I kinda lost track a little with the posts above and just thought I'd wait until I was certain you'd finished. It'll be nice to loose that skin effect in the original.