Piats or Bazookas?

Aaronb has had a bad experience which in the telling gives the edge to Piats.

The amount of shots they fired shows they remained effective and undetected. (Unless you tell me otherwise?)

Would so many shots have been fired by Zookas?

I vote Piat because I have just had a 1st shot hit on a Puma in an Urban combat situation and my building is not on fire!!!

Sure Piats miss, but if they do, you ae more likely to get another shot, than if you had used a Zooka.

As for using them over 100 meters would not even attempt it unless it was really desperate and if it is that bad you are hoping for a miracle!!!

H

Guest PondScum

I can confirm that aaronb's PIAT teams stayed undetected while peppering the ground around my Hetzer - I thought the little pops were 2" mortar rounds. They were in woods and scattered trees, and although I sometimes got "infantry?" symbols they were never positively id'd as anti-tank teams, and hence the Hetzer never considered them its number-one threat (it was gradually retreating in the face of oncoming infantry). Looking at the teams afterwards, some of them had used up their entire allotment of PIAT bombs trying for a hit, without being detected.

I think that caps this one as if that had been a zooka and missed it would not have got off too many more shots.

Also there is no clear difference in hit percentage chance and for this reason the Piat wins hands down.

Sure you can be unlucky to miss all shots with either weapon, but with the Piat you get the chance to miss all shots!!

:D

H

P.s. I have just looked at the link on a previous message and read about the PIAT and on that basis I would have run a mile if an NCO presented me one to use.

The men that used them were made of stern stuff or seriously disliked by the unit NCO.

:eek:

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Holien ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Holien:

Aaronb has had a bad experience which in the telling gives the edge to Piats.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am suffering from the fallacy of Misleading Vividness, having wasted so many PIAT rounds so recently.

The 'best' one is based on circumstance. PIATs are stealthier and fire from buildings with impunity, but Bazooka's are a lot more accurate, IMHO.

If I can setup an ambush with two man-portable anti-tank teams in foxholes in woods, I'll take bazookas every time because two will pretty much guarantee a kill with no return fire.

If I'm doing MOUT, OK, at least PIATs won't be spotted or set the buildings on fire, and this more than makes up for their apparent inaccuracy. Even if your experience does match mine – no hits – there will be no return fire and so no casualties.

Of course, unless you’re a ‘gamey bastard’ and mix forces, you’ll take what you get, either with Americans or Commonwealth. Then use the AT assets in their best roles.